my big brother update stage Iv colon cancer with mets liver lungs

Options
buttons1
buttons1 Member Posts: 22
edited February 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
now what,,,,,,,,,well since the last post i made, there are several new things happening to my brother. first off i will continue with two trips to the hospital sunday and then again tuesday evening, both times diareah vomiting, very weak. swollen stomach..the hospital took blood tests and ultra sound. told us to see our oncologist which we did the next morn. the ultra sound shows fluid on his abdomin liver has tumors which we new, but now they are not filltering like they should due to the fact that his liver is being ate up by this disease. so onc said we can drain fluid with needle proceedure [it may not work] and if it does it will be ongoing [regular]. or he can take diuretics which have they're side effects as well [potassium levels dropping ect. and the draiage thing can cause drop in bp and cause heart attack.... my brother looks pregnant and he is a little man,, wt 154. onc will do scan next weds and a new cea test.. and talk to us more about this,, [our onc was out of town so tuesday we had to see a onc that was not our doctor..so he said even the 10 bags of ivs my brother has had in the last 8 days[dehydration] well the iv fluid is also building up in his stomach, along with anything else he may have drank..which is not much. he cant hardly eat anything or drink anything due to the feeling of fullness all the time and voiting... does anyone have any information about what he is going through? how dangerous is this.. will he survive. .im not stupid i know that this disease will take him, but the damb onc we had said he could'nt tell us outcome, that that was what our regular onc would have to do..the onc ask my brother if he felt up to getting chemo [erbitux] the day we were in there and my brother said yes,,its working .. well its not working. my brother is a fighter . even though he feels so full with this fluid and heard the doctor say the liver had holes in it he still pushes on,, i dont understand why he is doing the erbitux on top of everything else he is going through he still wants it.please help me. thank you buttons

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Hi Buttons
    Erbitux is generally given when other chemo drugs have stopped working as efficiently as they were in the past. This is the reason he is probably getting this...it does have a good effect in managing tumors.

From what you are saying, I'm wondering if he is having trouble with his bile ducts in the liver? Perhaps, they are not draining correctly due to a blockage or something. Can they do a CT or perhaps an ultrasound to get a better idea?

Your brother is definitely a fighter - a trait that I admire very much. I'm not sure what else could be wrong, these are just thoughts that came to mind.

If things don't move better, you might want to consider getting another opinion from another oncologist - it's amazing how many folks here (including myself) have benefited from a "change of scenery."

Still wishing you all the best and please post back with you find.

-Craig
  • hopeforcure49
    hopeforcure49 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Hang in there!
    I hope you have the stength to help your brother through this. If he still wants to recieve the erbitux and has a positive attitude, let him. I know it can be very overwhelming for care givers, because we ( speaking from a nurse's perspective) want to help and do so much more. we don't like to see anyone sick. He will feel better when the fluid is remove, I'm sure. I'll keep you and your brother in my thoughts.....Blessings Lourdes.
  • buttons1
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Hi Buttons
    Erbitux is generally given when other chemo drugs have stopped working as efficiently as they were in the past. This is the reason he is probably getting this...it does have a good effect in managing tumors.

From what you are saying, I'm wondering if he is having trouble with his bile ducts in the liver? Perhaps, they are not draining correctly due to a blockage or something. Can they do a CT or perhaps an ultrasound to get a better idea?

Your brother is definitely a fighter - a trait that I admire very much. I'm not sure what else could be wrong, these are just thoughts that came to mind.

If things don't move better, you might want to consider getting another opinion from another oncologist - it's amazing how many folks here (including myself) have benefited from a "change of scenery."

Still wishing you all the best and please post back with you find.

-Craig

my big brother
    thank you craig,, yes he gets his scan next weds, but he got his ultra sound two days ago..and the hospital er doctor had looked at the ultra sound too. he is the first person that told us how bad my brothers liver is, the onc we saw yesterday said the same thing, then the chemo, nurse said it again.. [i cant wait until next week i want to ask his regular onc what we can expect. is this situation going to take him away from us or can he still live with holes in his liver .. thank you for responding,, this is very scarey buttons
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Hi Buttons:
    If your brother wants to go on with chemo, then support his decision. Like Craig said, bile ducts may be affected. Several on the board have had stints put in the bile ducts. As for draining the fluid, many have had to do that also. Sometimes they only have to drain it once and then some have had to do this several times.

Write all you questions down for your appointment on Monday with your regular doctor. Many times fill in doctors won't discuss any "outcome", they prefer to have your regular doctor who is more knowledgable about the patient have these kinds of talks.

I have never heard of "holes in the liver" before so I can't address that part.

You say your brother is a fighter so he needs you in his corner to fight right along side of him and support any decision he makes regarding his treatments.

Prepare yourself for the "we will now treat this as a chronic disease" speech so you won't be blown away. Essentially the are telling you that a cure is most likely not possible but with various treatments, will be sticking around for a while with hopefully a fairly good quality of life.

Where your brother goes from here is his decision. If he asks your opinion give it to him gently but if he doesn't ask, my opinion only, say nothing except that you support him 100% in any decision he makes.

Take care - Tina
  • buttons1
    Options
    geotina said:

Hi Buttons:
    If your brother wants to go on with chemo, then support his decision. Like Craig said, bile ducts may be affected. Several on the board have had stints put in the bile ducts. As for draining the fluid, many have had to do that also. Sometimes they only have to drain it once and then some have had to do this several times.

Write all you questions down for your appointment on Monday with your regular doctor. Many times fill in doctors won't discuss any "outcome", they prefer to have your regular doctor who is more knowledgable about the patient have these kinds of talks.

I have never heard of "holes in the liver" before so I can't address that part.

You say your brother is a fighter so he needs you in his corner to fight right along side of him and support any decision he makes regarding his treatments.

Prepare yourself for the "we will now treat this as a chronic disease" speech so you won't be blown away. Essentially the are telling you that a cure is most likely not possible but with various treatments, will be sticking around for a while with hopefully a fairly good quality of life.

Where your brother goes from here is his decision. If he asks your opinion give it to him gently but if he doesn't ask, my opinion only, say nothing except that you support him 100% in any decision he makes.

Take care - Tina

thank you tina,. sounds like
    thank you tina,. sounds like very good advice. and iam in his corner,, one thing that i have found out through this disease it it is allways changeing.. you have good days and bad... and some of the symtoms and side effects are so out there. for example we got hit hard all at once with all of this, diareah,vomiting, fluid on abdomin, passing out, dehydration, chills, fever. yellow eyes, pain, weakness, no appitite,sores. bruiseing. ect.. im learning as we go along.. and i will allways support his decision..i love him. and i hate cancer. god bless you. buttons
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    fluid in abdomen
    I had fluid buildup in my abdomen back in 2006 when I had a recurrence of my colon cancer on my right ovary. I had to go in and have the fluid drained off weekly, and it was always a great relief. The fluid buildup didn't stop until we resolved what was producing it, which in my case was surgical removal of the tumor. I remember the feeling of fullness getting more and more pronounced as the days passed between draining, and when my bowels no longer moved and I was no longer able to eat due to space limitations, it was time to go in and have the fluid drained off. They usually got roughly 4L of fluid each time. I know others have had the fluid retention resolve through chemo, but it's always because the cause of the fluid buildup is addressed, be it through chemo or surgery. Sounds like your brother is strong and he is very lucky to have you in his corner. Keep on with what you are doing and stay on top of everything!
    mary
  • buttons1
    Options
    msccolon said:

fluid in abdomen
    I had fluid buildup in my abdomen back in 2006 when I had a recurrence of my colon cancer on my right ovary. I had to go in and have the fluid drained off weekly, and it was always a great relief. The fluid buildup didn't stop until we resolved what was producing it, which in my case was surgical removal of the tumor. I remember the feeling of fullness getting more and more pronounced as the days passed between draining, and when my bowels no longer moved and I was no longer able to eat due to space limitations, it was time to go in and have the fluid drained off. They usually got roughly 4L of fluid each time. I know others have had the fluid retention resolve through chemo, but it's always because the cause of the fluid buildup is addressed, be it through chemo or surgery. Sounds like your brother is strong and he is very lucky to have you in his corner. Keep on with what you are doing and stay on top of everything!
    mary

THANK YOU.
    MARY THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO ME, IT HELPS TO TALK TO OTHERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS. IN MY BROTHERS CASE, HE CANT HAVE SURGURY TO REMOVE TUMORS[ TO MANY OF THEM ]Im glad that he will feel releif when the fluid goes away, he is taking diaretics. so far the fluid has not left.. thank you again god bless buttons. oh sorry for the large letters.
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Options
    buttons1 said:

THANK YOU.
    MARY THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO ME, IT HELPS TO TALK TO OTHERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS. IN MY BROTHERS CASE, HE CANT HAVE SURGURY TO REMOVE TUMORS[ TO MANY OF THEM ]Im glad that he will feel releif when the fluid goes away, he is taking diaretics. so far the fluid has not left.. thank you again god bless buttons. oh sorry for the large letters.

Ascites: fluid in abdomen
    Hi, I am dealing with fluid right now. I have read and heard from docs that say diuretics really don't help ascites and they didn't help me. I had to go in like Mary and get drained (paracentisis) - not sure about the spelling! Anyway I am currently inoperable. So we are addressing the cause using chemo. I have had a pleurX catheter put in so I can drain at home instead of trekking up to the hospital every week.

The fluid strips the body of protein so he needs to make sure he is eating extra protein. He will feel better after getting drained but they will most likely come back until the cause is addressed. Don't lose hope.

Catherine
  • buttons1
    Options
    C Dixon said:

Ascites: fluid in abdomen
    Hi, I am dealing with fluid right now. I have read and heard from docs that say diuretics really don't help ascites and they didn't help me. I had to go in like Mary and get drained (paracentisis) - not sure about the spelling! Anyway I am currently inoperable. So we are addressing the cause using chemo. I have had a pleurX catheter put in so I can drain at home instead of trekking up to the hospital every week.

The fluid strips the body of protein so he needs to make sure he is eating extra protein. He will feel better after getting drained but they will most likely come back until the cause is addressed. Don't lose hope.

Catherine

FLUID Buildup
    thank you for your post. my brother is so sick , the oncologist told him yesterday, [if there is anyone ,family ect you want to see then you should see them, they took him off diueretics and he may not get anymore chemo,, we will find out today.. we have family flying in next week. to see him, he wants to see all the family.. we feel so helpless, i just keep telling him if you want anything i will sure try my hardest to make it happen.. and he and i still talk of hope.. i love him so much, i dont need to tell any of you what we are going through , for i think you know... blessings to all . buttons
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    buttons1 said:

FLUID Buildup
    thank you for your post. my brother is so sick , the oncologist told him yesterday, [if there is anyone ,family ect you want to see then you should see them, they took him off diueretics and he may not get anymore chemo,, we will find out today.. we have family flying in next week. to see him, he wants to see all the family.. we feel so helpless, i just keep telling him if you want anything i will sure try my hardest to make it happen.. and he and i still talk of hope.. i love him so much, i dont need to tell any of you what we are going through , for i think you know... blessings to all . buttons

Sweetheart...........It seems as if its time......
    to try and make him comfortable as possible......Have you gotten or ask for any help from a Hospice center ? They do wondrous things in helping people in situations like these. They keep them pain free and comfortable as possible. I know what your going through, and it won't be any easier for a while. You are a very strong and caring person to give that much love and care to your brother, it seems though that it may be time to steer all your efforts into making him as comfortable as possible. All of us want the best for each other, and it certainly is a heart breaker to think that things like this may happen, but then we have to decide when enough is enough and when is it time to say enough suffering, to want to go home and just be with family. I just had a great friend do this very thing, he had had enough and simply wanted to go home to be with his family until it was over. He did just that, although it wasn't what his family had hoped for it was his wished that they kept, and he was at peace with his decision. I hope you and brother find that peace, and knowing in my heart just how bad you and brother are hurting makes it no easier, but now is the time when we draw on what we believe in...we have to, sometimes its all we have, please take some solace from this , and please don't be aggravated at me for this post, it is my intention to only make things as easy for people as I can and maybe this is one that I should have steered clear of because of the context in which it brings, but what kind of friend would I be if I did that......Buttons and Brother, may you have many, many memories made and making new ones everyday...Make each day special as I know you do. May each minute bring on another new smile, grin, I love you, or whatever makes you feel a little better about things...but above all know that we all have to do this in some point in our lives, make decisions we don't like, but we are only allowed a short time on this earth, make the best of whats left....then someday, it will all make sense...Love to you both and in hopes of Calm, Peace, and Serenity for you both.........Clift