have a chemo start date

Dee
Dee Member Posts: 40
I met with the chemo onc yesterday and start FEC chemo in a couple of weeks (21st NZ time...think 20th US time??)

having a port next thursday and have ECG this friday plus blood tests etc....its all happening so fast!

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Your chemo start date
    It is all pretty overwhelming at the beginning, isn't it? You are now a member of a club that you never wanted to join in the 1st place. In addition, that club has a whole vocabulary you need to learn. Words like rads,medi-port,mets,NED,A/C,hemoglobin,anemia, neuropathy become part of your existence. At least with the port being implanted you have taken a big step in your fight against breast cancer. With each chemo infusion you are that much closer to being finshed and dancing with NED. At least that is how I always saw it. You can do this. The Pink Sisters are always here.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Fast is good! Get started
    Fast is good! Get started and get it over with ASAP! Be sure to update us on your progress.
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Yes, it does go fast. It
    Yes, it does go fast. It can be all consuming at times. Then you settle in and muddle through the treatment. Then you are done and start the follow up visits with the surgeon, the onc, etc. It is a lifechanging thing we go through. I have never had to see a doc other than for yearly checkups and then BAM! I was showing my breasts to half the medical community it seemed like.

You will love the ease of the port. I loved the EKG thingy. The nurse let me see the screen so I could see my heart when my lungs moved. Really cool. I had a really handsome doc put my port in- made it so much easier to have done. lol.

Keep us posted and ask as many questions as you need.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I'll be thinking of you
    I have not dealt with chemo but I know the feeling of just getting treatment started..
  • Dee

Yes, it does go fast. It
    Yes, it does go fast. It can be all consuming at times. Then you settle in and muddle through the treatment. Then you are done and start the follow up visits with the surgeon, the onc, etc. It is a lifechanging thing we go through. I have never had to see a doc other than for yearly checkups and then BAM! I was showing my breasts to half the medical community it seemed like.

You will love the ease of the port. I loved the EKG thingy. The nurse let me see the screen so I could see my heart when my lungs moved. Really cool. I had a really handsome doc put my port in- made it so much easier to have done. lol.

Keep us posted and ask as many questions as you need.

lol EllenaMaria....I know
    lol EllenaMaria....I know that feeling about flashing your boobs!!!

My surgeon (who IS very good looking hehe) is putting it in through an insision round the nipple on my good boob, that means no chest scarring yay!! Do they do the same in the US?
  • pokrydi
    pokrydi Member Posts: 99

I'll be thinking of you
    I have not dealt with chemo but I know the feeling of just getting treatment started..

welcome
    Dee I just had my port put in tues 2/8 it feels really weird 1st couple of days but getting use to it. Keep in touch maybe we will be starting chemo same time I have my chemo class 2/24 then start soon after we can compare "cocktails" as everyone calls the drugs lol. Diane
  • Dee
    pokrydi said:

welcome
    Dee I just had my port put in tues 2/8 it feels really weird 1st couple of days but getting use to it. Keep in touch maybe we will be starting chemo same time I have my chemo class 2/24 then start soon after we can compare "cocktails" as everyone calls the drugs lol. Diane

sharing cocktails :)
    Hi Diane:)

Looking forward to sharing "cocktails" with you :)

Dee xx
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Dee said:

lol EllenaMaria....I know
    lol EllenaMaria....I know that feeling about flashing your boobs!!!

My surgeon (who IS very good looking hehe) is putting it in through an insision round the nipple on my good boob, that means no chest scarring yay!! Do they do the same in the US?

Wanted to wish you good luck
    Wanted to wish you good luck with chemo!