Pet scans

aussTex
aussTex Member Posts: 1 *

I’ve had two primary cancers, breast and now s4 lung cancer requiring quarterly ct or pet scans. After about a year of an area in my colon showing persistent focal uptake, my oncologist insisted I have a colonoscopy. Thankfully it was only an advanced precancer, 1.1 cm tubulovillious, fully resected, clear margins, but the colon oncologist said if i had waited six more months I would have had a primary colon cancer. My only symptoms that disappeared a week after were intense bloating and mucous in diarrhea. 11 weeks later I had my routine pet scan which again showed uptake, higher than last time (was 12.1 now 16.4). Colon oncologist said it’s probably an inflammatory response to the removal, and that he didn’t miss anything, and even gave me pictures of the poly, etc. But my colonoscopy went much longer than expected, and he told my family is was difficult because I have a redundant colon, so it took longer and more staff to help move and reposition me so they could get all the imaging. In fact, somehow they blew the vein my iv was in, and I woke up during, then they accessed a vein in my foot for the remainder of the procedure. He said not to worry about it, that if my next pet scan still shows activity there he can do another colonoscopy. My next scan is mid January.

I’ve heard colon cancer is slow growing, so if somehow something was left behind it wouldn’t be growing like crazy. I’m not concerned they didn’t get it all, but that they missed another one because of the rolling, repositioning and waking going on. Has anyone here had pet or ct scans after a polypectomy??? Does anyone else have an extra long colon? What SUV is considered concerning in the colon? Why would a precancer have such a high SUV??? My lung cancer was stage 4 but only had an SUV of 4.7! Any insight at all would be helpful!