RADIATION FOR BRAIN CANCER

GOTHOPE
GOTHOPE Member Posts: 1 *

Hello to all of you Survivors out there! I began my blog back in 2000 with OVCA, and continued through 2006 with another bout with OVCA and in 2013 with breast cancer. This forum is invaluable for information, support and making new friends. And now I have some questions regarding my sister-in-law who is dealing with stage 4 brain cancer.

I'm sorry to say I do not have a formal diagnosis. So I only have the following to provide: This has been over a span of about 2 months. Had a siezure and it was discovered she had a tumor on the brain. Over the next couple of months, after tests and consults with the Mayo Clinic (my husband's brother and sister-in-law are in North Dakota), it had progressed even further in a short period of time and now the one tumor became three. On Friday she had surgery in Minnesota and they removed all the tumors. The doctor said had they not operated, she would have had only 4-5 weeks to live. The doctor still says to hold on to hope, but in 50 causes the average is only 1 that goes into remission.

They will head home this week, and she will go into a rehab facility for a while. Then they plan on starting radiation in 4 weeks. There is a small spot on her thyroid, which they said is not critical at this point. Something on her spleen, which has not been identified. And there was a cyst on her kidney which was biopsied and is benign.

My questions: If she chooses to have radiation, what can we send to her to make her more comfortable and able to get through this. My 'care kit' for patients has included things like warm socks, mints, head covering of some kind, word puzzles, books, etc. I assume brain radiation is going to cause more side affects than my breast cancer radiation did.

More importantly, I would love to hear from those of you who maybe have chosen a different method of treatment, or maybe none at all? Please give me your success stories, methods of treatment, and if any of you were stage 4. I would like to give them plenty of options, as I come from a position of 'explore ALL options'. That includes homeopathic, holistic, etc. I really dread her having to do the radiation, as I know how it works and I don't see that it will prolong her life, maybe even make her more miserable and affected (siezures, eye sight, etc.) than is worth doing.

Any advice, suggestions, experiences will be most appreciated. Again, thank you everyone. And I pray that your journeys are sustainable and hopeful and miraculous!