Advice for 84 year old male going through chemo/radiation stage 4 esophageal cancer

my friends father just had his first treatment of chemo for stage 4 esophageal cancer. The side effects are such that he is expressing regret at beginning treatment. He still has more treatments and radiation as well.

What advice to you have for both the patient and his family? Do you sympathize and encourage? Do you let them stop treatment? Do you do tough love and say “gotta get through it to live longer”?

Appreciate your answers.

Comments

• Mastro3171
    Mastro3171 Member Posts: 1 *

Hi, my 77 old father just started treatments for Stage 4 esophageal cancer. He already has a feeding tube . I'm wondering the same things myself! Wishing the best for your dad and your family because I know this is very difficult!!

• LimogesGuy
    LimogesGuy Member Posts: 7 Member

I’ve just gone through the whole treatment sequence as a 71 year old. Is it worth it? To me to see my grandchildren grow up it definitely was.
    Would that decision be the same if I was in my eighties?

Obviously depends on life expectancy and quality of life we can look forward to.

I’d definitely go through with the radiation and chemo therapy as in my case it shrank the tumour to such an extent I could eat normally again.

The operation at 82 could be tough.

With a stage 4 it might not even be on offer?

Anyway, best wishes and strength in this difficult time.