18 years out after Stage 4 Dx

impactzone
impactzone Member Posts: 555 Member

Hello all,

This disease is so unfair and unpredictable but I did want to throw a chance of hope out there. It is now 18 years out from the initial diagnosis. Stage 4, mets to liver and lungs. Took long time but I'm still here and doing fine. I know the long term people who I first followed meant a lot. I have no magic formula, just kept going. Lots of trying to do the right things with diet ( low carbs, no sugar) and exercise ( walking and weights in a gym). Prayers and mental health focus seemed to center me along with staying away from toxic people and complications. I wish all well and still stop in to read but do not comment. I should, but it is hard. All my love to all.

Impactzone

Chip

Comments

• Wadsdan777
    Wadsdan777 Member Posts: 20 Member

Hi Chip - so wonderful to hear!, and inspiring! I am coming up to the 5 year mark ( and was only supposed to be around for 2 max ) So some fear/anxiety there, but also thankfullness for doing better then expected.

Did your journey include multiple surgeries? Did you reach/are you at a NED status, or just low burden disease now?

Thanks!

• impactzone

4 thoracic , liver, colon, surgeries couple pulmonary embolisms, 19 month chemo.
    NED the last 10 years.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,288 Member

Always good to hear from you, and your story Chip, 18 years out is a long time. Hope life hasn't found anything as tough to challenge you with, though being the mortal humans we are, who knows what may come. You sound/read as great, so keep on keeping on, and enjoy your time…………………..Dave

• impactzone

Thanks! All good here and gotta be about 10 years for you? All my best. It's tough out there and I hope life is treating you well.

Chip

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,288 Member

Ten from the last surgery, but I didn't talk here for 6 years after the initial diagnosis, so Aug. 2013 was my first post. All good at this end, as well. Getting old, in general, isn't for sissies, but I'm happy to walk that path, and enjoy my kids, grandkids, and even a great-grand kid, who turned 4 two days ago. It all still feels like a gift or bonus, whatever one might call more time on this planet.

• clockston
    clockston Member Posts: 1 *

thank you so much for this thread of

H O P E! 💙 this is a hard hard road and some days I really need to see that people have made it. The treatment is getting next to me now all summer its been chemoradiation more chemo, more chemo to go, and at least a couple of surgeries. This is going to help me get through this night. Much appreciated.

• impactzone

I am sorry we met here. Hope the night passes well along with many more. Stay as positive as you can. There are many more long term survivors out there than Google stats say. Hope and prayers to you . Chip