Lymphoma and disabilty

Can someone comment who had experience in this area ?

I looked that SS Admin site and there are are hole bunch of items. I think,as I read this, there is no point to apply as you going tru initial treatment. … ?

Wife is un-employed for last year or so but had worked for about 30 years paying SS. Before diagnosis, she was looking for job ….we just completed pet scan and probably chemo will start within couple weeks. At the moment she get fatigued after few hours standing up, so even if job poped up, she would not be able to work. I doubt she will during chemo. I am not asking her to even attempt to work as I can support her.

In my opinion, she is disabled and she will be for the next 4-5 months. Should we go and visit SS ?

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,499 Member
    edited August 26 #2

When you apply (online) for Social Security Disability, first there is no age limit. Second, they expedite your claim when you check "cancer" as the reason for the disability. It can be a bit of a hassle, but it paid off in my case. They may review her disability status from time to time, bunt they are pretty good as far as grave illness goes. They go by their own rules as to how to calculate their checks and you may be awarded more than you expected. The sooner you apply, the better. One less thing to worry about. On approved claims, after two years, a person qualifies for Medicare, regardless of age.

• pike44
    pike44 Member Posts: 4 Member

thanks for the response. I could not make sense out of SSI website and qualification. We will start this process in near future..cant imagine anyone going thru chemo and trying to keep up/get job. I know what person with breast cancer who is on short term disability while doing so.

• po18guy

Well, not being a particularly perceptive individual, I worked 10 hour night shifts through my first two months of chemo. At that point, I was staring at an additional two months of a different regimen. When my supervisors began asking more than once during a shift if I was OK, I decided it was time to stay home. Co-workers donated sick leave when mine ran out. I was very fortunate.

• pike44
    pike44 Member Posts: 4 Member

You had great co-workers. My boss is pretty flexible when taking wife to appt/tests… so I am also pretty lucky this way as well. I have not known anyone personally who went thru chemo. You probably the closest 1st hand experience I have had. For some reason the impacted lymph node (one armpit) got more sensitive/painful after biopsy. Until then it was more on the "annoyance" side. The wife has hard time moving the arm… pain and just being afraid … drains the energy. She took year off from work …on Cobra now… I plainly dont see her going back to work in this state.

• po18guy

Cancer is a huge wake-up call. How we deal with that call can make a huge difference. Dune to family history, I was prepared to hear :cancer" at some point. Thus, it was not a big shock. Everyone deals with issues of our mortality differently. If she has not, your wife could almost certainly benefit from counseling or therapy. The cancer center, hospital, even local social service agencies and churches are sources.