Anxiety?

Grizzly
Grizzly Member Posts: 4 *

How do you deal with the anxiety? I am feeling so out of control. I am normally able to face critical issues and deal with it, including my own past medical issues, my husband's critical health issues, and even unexpected deaths in my immediate family. But this time, I am a wreck… I shake constantly. I get angry at the drop of a hat. I whine all the time…( and I am NOT a whiner!). I dont understand why having stage 2, no small cell cancer can be getting to me this bad. If you've experienced this, can you tell me how you deal with it?

Comments

• eDivebuddy
    eDivebuddy Member Posts: 13 Member

Sorry you're going through this. A cancer diagnosis especially a lung cancer diagnosis will make anyone anxious. I spent 25 years as an air traffic controller at O'Hare and I was not immune. At first I just tried to man up but that started getting janky real fast. They prescribed Xanax which helped especially with sleep. Talk to your care team about this. Cancer centers usually have all kinds of help readily available. Mine even treated my wife with counseling which helped me as well.

Time also makes it easier. As you met or read about more people surviving you begin to realize lung cancer has many more options for treatment now. And treatments can work extremely well. For many,lung cancer is closer to a treatable chronic disease than a terminal illness. Just over 4 years ago I was diagnosed stage IVB with a zero percent 2 year prognosis. I've been in full remission for over 3 years. From Targeted treatments to immunotherapies, even the medications to treat side effects from the new chemotherapies, this is not the cancer treatments we grew up with. They have cT guided robot assisted surgeries! The operating room is full of modern marvels.

You got this.

Here's some stuff from the ACS on the subject.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/managing-cancer/side-effects/emotional-mood-changes/anxiety.html

• Grizzly

Thank you! It's nice to not feel alone. My staging at this point is 2B, but I completed testing over a week ago, to see if it has spread and the doctor still has not given me the results (even though they have been accessible by me, in "my chart" for days), so I have no one to explain them to me. I live 2 hrs from the closest cancer center and in a state that has hard, snowing winters. I'm not only stressing over what type of treatment I will need but how I am going to get to the cancer center for multiple trips a week, in the snow. This anxiety is so real that I actually filled up my car at the gas station and then drove off with the hose in my tank. My mind just wont work. I've NEVER experience this before, and I've been through more trauma then may will have. I dont understand why I can't function.

• eDivebuddy
    eDivebuddy Member Posts: 13 Member

The waiting at the beginning is the hardest part. The genetic testing can take up to a month and occasionally a little longer to get results. And treatment isn't normally initiated until those are in hand. The doctors like to be in a position to give you more information than just waiting and not have to call you back in as each result comes in. Other survivors can help you understand the results.

The American Cancer society has a road to recovery program that has volunteer drivers to get patients to and from doctors appointments. I would highly suggest you not drive yourself especially in the winter. What time consider as not working is your mind actually working overtime. While it may be going through thousands of things attention to detail goes out the window. You do things like miss a stop sign or drive off with the gas hose still in the car. You're not the first and will not be the last.

https://www.cancer.org/support-programs-and-services/road-to-recovery.html

• Grizzly

Oh my…. I did that already! They have not said anything about genetic testing, that's a new one on me. The only once I know that they still want is one more CT scan (this one with contrast), MRI (scheduled), Pulmonary stress test (scheduled I think, just not sure since the cancer center says it one day and the hospital another!) and a meeting the the surgeon that is supposed to determine the next steps (chemo and immunotherapy first then surgery OR straight to surgery!) based on all of this (from the hospital 4 hrs. away). I live in the middle of nowhere…. I'll look but my guess is there wont be any driver that assist in my area. Thank you for the suggestions and the reply!

• papajohn1000
    papajohn1000 Member Posts: 12 Member

I have had high anxiety since 2017 when my wife died of stage 4 brain cancer. The next year, I was found to have PTSD and tremors due to that Thanks to professional help I have that under control but it has come back Three years ago I beat stage 3 prostrate cancer with radiation therapy but then earlier this year I was found to have stage 3 colon cancer and have a bag. Then a month or so I caught COVID and staff infection and spent time in the hospital and a rehab to learn to walk eat, and dress myself I was asleep for 21 days with COVID and do not remember anything I got no chemo because of the legnth of time after surgery I go get a colonostomy on Sept 13 and if it looks good the bag comes off on the 17 of Sept. I put myself in God's hands and take it day by day Talking on this website helps

• Grizzly

Thank you for your reply. I am so sorry you have had to deal with this for so long. I pray that your outcome will be good and you will finally be on the way to being cancer free

• papajohn1000
    papajohn1000 Member Posts: 12 Member

Thank you my friend I have lost family members and close friends in two years When it gets published, look for a story named A TRUE LOVE STORY I wrote it telling both my story and my wife's story battling cancer and our faith being tested