SBRT side effect?

BeardofStars
BeardofStars Member Posts: 11 Member

I had SBRT Cybeknife treatment in late December 2023. In the 2 - 3 weeks after treatment the only side effect that I experienced was a change in bathroom routine. I felt a pressure (need) to empty my bowels when there really wasn't anything there to get rid of. When there was something to get rid of the pressure would increase significantly so that there would be a sudden urgent need to go to the bathroom. This additional pressure went away within a couple of weeks.

Now, 8 months later, that feeling is back again.

I have a follow-up with my urologist scheduled for the end of this month and am also reaching out to my radio - oncologist to see if I can get an appointment with them.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,135 Member

Hi,

One of the side effects of Cyberknife is having to feel like you need to poop. Did your doctor put the gel(SpaceOar)between your Prostate and Rectum? The gel is suppose to absorb the radiation and protect the Rectum from damage.

Dave 3+4

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 434 Member

That sounds like a common side effect of radiation's impact on the colon. I experienced that side effect sometime (years) after IMRT was performed on my prostate bed, as I was not offered SpaceOar prior to my IMRT treatments. I later had SRBT on my pubic bone, and I have not noticed any additional side effects from that radiation, but my colon was not in the path of the SBRT treatment.

• BeardofStars

No spacer. I did experience the side-effect soon after treatment, I called it the phantom poop. It went away within a couple of weeks, but came back again a couple of weeks ago.

It appears to be easing again over the last day or so.

I talked to the radiation oncology team and they said that it is a common side effect soon after treatment but would not expect a recurrence. Their suggestion was to get a colonoscopy. In the next 2 weeks I have a 6 month follow up appointment with my urologist and also an appointment with my primary care physician. I'll be talking to the PCP about a scheduling a colonoscopy.

• BeardofStars
    edited August 15 #5

No spacer. I experienced the symptom very soon after treatment. I called it the 'phantom poop'. It went away fairly quickly and haven't experienced any other issues until very recently.

The phantom poop came back a couple of weeks ago. Though it does seem to be easing in the last day or so.

I contacted the radiation oncology team and they said that the symptom was quite common soon after treatment but they don't typically see a recurrence this far out. They did suggest getting a colonoscopy if it persists. So over the next 2 weeks I have a 6-month follow up with my urologist and also an appointment with my primary care physician where we will discuss the current situation and get a referral for a colonoscopy.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,459 Member

Looks like a good plan.

Hopefully your symptoms will disappear in the not so distant future.