Anyone Having Trismus Or TMJ (Temporo Mandibular Joint) Issues Or Problems Here Are Some Ideas

wbcgaruss
wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,427 Member

Keep it simple-Stick with the sticks, one stick at a time, and skip the Therabite. I guess they work, the concept is good but they are made of plastic, and considering how long they have been making them would think the price would have come down by now because most people's insurance doesn't cover them, and at the crazy price $659 who can afford them and after you are done with it what do you do with it, nobody's going to give you much for it all that goes along with the whole cancer treatment regimen.

Also, my recommendation to you is to check out this guy and his utubesite.

He is a dentist actually but also specializes in Jaw Dysfunction at least it seems as such if you check out his videos. Young fella, but seems pretty sharp.

Dr. Jeffery M.Dolgos Orchard Park, NY Dentist 716-675-5858 Practice concentrated inthe diagnosis and treatment of jaw pain and dysfunction. Developed"The Buffalo Method," a functional approach to TMJ therapy.

Here is his video on the bite sticks, spoons, tongue depressors, whatever you use.

TMJ Range of Motion using Bite Sticks

In this video I'll show you a simple method for slowly and steadily improving the range of motion of your jaw, using the little wooden spoons we used to use to eat ice cream in the cafeteria when I was little!

And here is a 17:35 minute video completely explaining TMJ(Temporo Mandibular Joint) and the full aspect of it.

The truth about TMJ: Keep it Simple

I try to take a simple, functional approach to treating TMJ dysfunction and will use this channel to give as many people as possible some tools and tips they can use to help optimize the form, function, and feel of their jaw joints and muscles.

Here is the doctor’s channel on utube, I am sure you may find something else interesting on there and it will be posted for others who journey through this thread.

About

Dr. Jeffery M. Dolgos Orchard Park, NY Dentist 716-675-5858 Practice concentrated in the diagnosis and treatment of jaw pain and dysfunction. Developed "The Buffalo Method," a functional approach to TMJ therapy

Also, I recommend you consider the possibility of seeing a Speech Therapist, you can get one on your own or be referred to one by your cancer doctor. Many times when going through head and neck cancer doctors will automatically set you up with a speech therapist before you even start any kind of treatment. The speech therapist will monitor you along with your care team during and after your treatment. With some cases a speech therapist may have you take a swallow test before treatment starts.

A speech therapist is all things head and neck such as eating, chewing, breathing, swallowing, taste, saliva, etc. Be sure to get one who also uses Biofeedback.

Swallowing and SpeechRehabilitation for Head and Neck Cancer

Overview of what patients with head and neck cancers can expect when working with a speech pathologist.

Swallowing sEMG Demo on VitalStim Plus or a similar device

We were so excited to be one of the first facilities nationwide to receive the new VitalStim Plus device that we couldn't wait to show our patients and followers! This video demonstrates the sEMG function with a couple of pharyngeal exercises.

Wishing You The Very Best

TakeCare, God Bless,

Russ

(NEGU)Never Ever Give Up