Appointment next week for results of biopsy of prostate

joibellz
joibellz Member Posts: 5 *
edited July 12 in Prostate Cancer #1

I'm anxiously waiting for the results of the biopsy done for my dad who is facing prostate cancer. He's in his 70s but extremely active, probably the healthiest person in my family. This is quite unreal. I've offered to be there during this appointment and I'm trying to read as much as possible to be able to ask informed questions and prepare for whatever this will bring.

Anyone have any tips for that first dreadful appointment? Important questions to ask? I don't know how to prepare for this appointment and discussion.

I'd like to think this isn't that bad, however his PSA was 43, he's mentioned some hip pain and other symptoms. Trying to be hopeful but in my mind, I feel like this has likely spread to his bones.

Comments

• Wheel
    Wheel Member Posts: 110 Member

if you receive the report for the first time at the appointment without some prior knowledge about Gleason scores it is overwhelming. To prepare learn about Gleason scores. This will help as they go over the report with you. Also you can google how to read a prostate biopsy pathology report. Again very helpful. Did he have a MpMRI of the prostate before the biopsy, or did they go straight to biopsy based on PSA. Having the MRI would have been helpful to guide specific areas for biopsy. He will need a PSMA Pet scan next to check for possible metastasis and where. A Decipher test should also be ordered since they will now have biopsy tissue. Just be aware this is not like other cancers that you must jump on immediately. Yes, you do want to move forward on learning and deciding on course of treatment but All studies show that a six month time frame from diagnosis to beginning of treatment has had no significant change in outcome of patient’s.

• joibellz

he has said he had 2 MRIs and a CT what they actually were is hard to tell. I can only be certain that’s he’s had 3 imaging appointments, he’s not the best at remembering actual specifics. I have to read more into the Gleason score for sure, thanks so much!

• Marlon
    Marlon Member Posts: 85 Member

What I heard at that first meeting was that I had the option of surgery or radiation for treatment, with equal chances of a good outcome. And my age (67) age a factor - younger, and surgery would be recommended. Older, radiation would be recommended. But the side effects and long-term recovery is different for each, and there was a lot to think about. I got second opinion from a radiation oncologist so as to fully understand how that would work.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

Is there a patient portal for your Dad that you can access? Presumably you will need some sort of permission.

• joibellz

I’m sorry this is part of your journey as well. I hope you’re doing well and are able to start each day with a strong mind and body.

• joibellz

He’s not currently signed up for one and they apparently won’t give an enrollment code over the phone. I’ll be able to set one up for him after this appointment.

• joibellz

thank you so much!

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 321 Member

If he is open to it, I would encourage him to get access to the biopsy results before the meeting with the doctor. Maybe view the results with somebody else there if you’re worried about the trauma of finding out he has cancer.

That way when he meets with a doctor, he can skip the phase where you don’t hear a word the the doctor is saying because you’re stuck on the word “cancer”. Otherwise, make sure someone else is there to take notes, and that they take good ones. It’s hard to retain information when you are in shock.