3 years NED

Tobi
Tobi Member Posts: 63 Member
edited June 21 in Kidney Cancer #1

Haven't checked in for a bit, but I wanted to update everyone. Just had my 3 yr check up and NED. I am not expecting it to come back as it was stage 1a and grade 1, but it still feels good to hear him say what we were expecting. The doc has kicked me out to yearly visits instead of 6mo and life continues. I just want to say to any new person who may read this. The beginning is scary as hell. I am not going to lie it was hands down one of the worst periods of my life. My best advice is try to keep the stress at bay, it makes it easier to focus on what you need to do and what the doctor is telling you. I had the worst time putting my emotional brain aside so I could focus on my logical brain. It's odd but it all seems so far away now. Anyways, still going strong and I should be kicked out by my doc around 5 yrs, so just going to keep plodding along!

Comments

• babrede
    babrede Member Posts: 5 Member

great news, thank you so much for the update.

I’m 5 months post radical Nephrectomy and 4 months into my one year of keytruda.

I always tell people if you have to have cancer, this one isn’t awful.

(Hubby is newly diagnosed stage 4 ampullary, this one is awful)

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,068 Member

Thank you for posting this encouraging update, and congrats on being NED!

My husband is 9 years NED, hopefully it will continue. Docs stopped scanning him after 5 years, but he still does chest x-ray and ultrasound once in couple of years, just to be sure all is fine.

Perhaps you could consider smth similar after year 5 of NED.

• Tobi
    Tobi Member Posts: 63 Member

Yes my GP works pretty closely with my Urologist and the plan is when the Urologist kicks me out the GP is going to add a chest Xray to my check ups every 12 mo.