Seeking Long-term Survivors of Esophageal Cancer

Options
annoulla
annoulla Member Posts: 4 Member
edited June 17 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Hello everyone,

My name is Anna, and I am reaching out to this community for support and information. My husband has been diagnosed with stage 2 adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. After undergoing chemotherapy and radiation therapy, he is now scheduled to have an esophagectomy.

I am very anxious about the surgery and what comes after it. I am particularly worried about the potential for cancer recurrence and the challenges that might come with recovery from such a major operation.

Additionally, we have two young children, ages 7 and 6, and I am concerned about how they will cope with their father's illness and recovery.

Are there any long-term survivors here who have gone through a similar experience? I would love to hear about your journeys, how you managed post-surgery, and any advice or insights you could share, especially regarding family and children during this time.

Your stories would mean a lot to us as i am quit navigate this difficult time. May god bless you all, and give you the strength to keep going.

Anna

Comments

• Srinipartha
    Srinipartha Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Anna

Im very sorry to hear this - but dont panic. Trust in God - all will be well

I was diagnosed with stage 3 adrenicarcinoma in Oct last, had my chemo and radiation followed by esophagectamy in March. Im recovering well.

Please feel free to reach out if you want to talk

• annoulla
    annoulla Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi Srinipartha,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your experience. It’s very comforting to hear that you’re recovering well after your treatment.

I wanted to ask if you have any tips regarding diet for my husband during this time. Any advice on what foods were easier to swallow or more beneficial for you during recovery would be greatly appreciated.

I also want to say how much of a blessing this site is for people like us. The support and shared experiences are incredibly valuable and provide so much comfort during these challenging times.

Thank you again for your support. Stay strong, and I’m glad to hear you’re doing well.

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

Hi Anna,

I sent you a private message with contact information.

Paul

• Sugeam7
    Sugeam7 Member Posts: 5 *
    Options

My husband is a 14 year survivor of esophageal cancer that metastasized to his lung. He had an esophagectomy and partial lung removal. He is thriving -not just surviving. Surgeries were at OHSU in Portland Oregon. Please don’t forget to take care of yourself as a caregiver.

• sherryduncan
    sherryduncan Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thriving not just surviving!! I love this. How old was your husband at diagnosis and what cell type. I am about to begin my journey of radiation/chemo/esophagectomy.

• Sugeam7
    Options

hi He had Adenocarcinoma and was 55 when diagnosed. Where is he getting treated? His diet was restricted for awhile but now he stays away from sweet/dairy desserts but other than that can now eat almost anything. He uses a wedge to sleep (pillows when traveling) and doesn’t eat too close to bedtime. His regime includes regalin. During chemo/radiation he received acupuncture treatments to help his organs. He’s a research scientist.

• sherryduncan
    Options

It is me who has cancer. I’m a 55 year old female with stage 2 squamous cell carcinoma. No lymph node involvement and no metastasis. am getting my treatment at the Univ. of Oklahoma Stephenson Cancer Center. I will be part of a randomized study where one arm of the study receives standard radiation and the other arm receives proton radiation. Chemo and esophagectomy will be the same in each of the divisions. How long was your husband’s recovery after his surgery? I’m a high school chemistry teacher so wondering how much work I will miss.

• Sugeam7
    Options

His surgery was march 17. We went to Maui June 10th. He was not 100% and we were still learning how to manage food and sleeping but had a great relaxing time. He swam in the ocean and participated in most daily activities with our family.

• sherryduncan
    Options

That is awesome!!

• Sugeam7
    Options

Ohio state university has a paper published on the effects of strawberries on endenocarcinoma. He made shakes everyday with organic freeze dried strawberries and reishi.

• Sugeam7
    Options

he also did some form of exercise (already was his daily routine but got difficult during treatment) daily - walking, treadmill, efx

• chepito
    chepito Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Thank you for sharing and God bless all of you and relatives.