Throat Cancer Advice From A Survivor-Radiation Mask For Throat, Neck, And Head Cancer Treatments

wbcgaruss
wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,443 Member
edited June 7 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

What is a radiation mask? They look scary in the beginning and many people are claustrophobic, but this video helps explain the process and show that even claustrophobic people can overcome it easily.

Throat cancer advice from a survivor- Radiation mask for throat, neck, and head cancer treatments.

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

Comments

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member

The masks come in different configurations, depending on the facility that you're having the radiation done. As you can see, mine came across my chest and shoulders. The mesh is a little denser than the one that is shown in the video, and there was no opening for my mouth. That would've been useless because I had a breathing tube in my mouth and couldn't talk anyway. I can see where some people might feel claustrophobic under the mask, and I felt a bit uneasy at first. But I was closing my eyes the whole time for the first couple weeks. Then I just kept them open and watched the machine going back and forth through the mesh, and that helped me feel very much at ease. The most uncomfortable part was how tight it was, especially around my neck. But it didn't take too long for that to ease up as I lost weight over the course of the treatments.