Urine flow after prostate surgery

Steve1961
Steve1961 Member Posts: 605 Member
edited May 29 in Prostate Cancer #1

just have a question. A lot of you just had surgery with no prior radiation. I had surgery after radiation. Im about 8 weeks out My question is this I know a lot of men ,probably everyone had some degree of incontinence after surgery but when you did go on your own, was the stream normal regular flow ,that’s what I’m asking because mine isn’t when I do have the urge to go the flow is very very weak and I think this is what caused a UTI for me which i am geting over now…i think i may have some excess scar tissue buildup on my bladder neck but then again I just don’t want to go through all these damn tests I don’t have to . They are no fun..

Comments

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 164 Member

I believe my stream was normal from the start. You are definitely a unique case, having the radiation prior.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

After my surgery with no radiation I had a very good flow.

Dave 3+4

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 57 Member
    edited May 28 #4

Steve,

One of the concerns for any man who has undergone a prostatectomy is scarring down of the anastomosis. Men who have had prior radiation are at higher risk when compared to those who have not had prior radiation. If you notice your stream is dropping off at eight weeks I would recommend that you let your Urologist know immediately. They may want to look with the camera, and see if you are getting too narrow.

I realize you’re sick of testing being done, however, this one is really important. You don’t want to end up with an emergency situation where you cannot pee at all

jc

• Steve1961

true i have messaged them i know something is upm..thanks

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 389 Member

After the catheter was removed, I could pee a stream like a 7 year old.

• Steve1961

the sad thing is theyb don’t consider being incontinent a disability. I’m a heavy duty truck mechanic even though I’m the foreman I still have to do a lot of getting up and down jumping in and trucks under trucks checking this checking that driving them. I just don’t know how I can perform my job constantly having to change a pad, I hope it gets better

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

As jc5549 said you could have some scar tissue from the radiation, why not ask your surgeon what he did and saw when he performed your latest surgery. At eight weeks out your ability to hold your urine hopefully will improve as you heal and build up your sphincter muscles with Kegal exercises. I still do about 100 kegals every day after 10 years. Can’t remember the exact time it took me but I do remember continual improvement over SEVERAL months, so it could take more time than 8 weeks.

Dave 3+4