Very rare and aggressive

lorenze
lorenze Member Posts: 1 *
edited May 28 in Prostate Cancer #1

My dad who is 75 and very healthy just retired and was diagnosed with aggressive and advance prostate cancer. His psa 13 months ago was 2.1 and a couple months ago was at an alarming 150. He has done several biopsies and tests with the latest being a pet scan. Pet scan showed no active cancer in prostate but it had spread to bones and one place on ureter tube (which is what we first found on a scan). I’m so sad and haven’t found anyone else with a similar story. Doctor started him on hormone therapy meds 5 weeks ago and an additional one this last Monday. He has since got a lot of energy back and pain is much less. We are praying for a miracle.

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,700 Member

Hi,

Welcome to the board.

Instead of praying for a miracle, pray for a cure. That can be achieved depending on the illness status, how your dad's health can accept treatment and how specialized is his team of doctors.

Some doctors abstain from recommending radical treatments to 75 years old patients. But some others go through radicals depending on the extent of the area to be treated and on the consequencies/risks that such would attain.

I wonder what type of PET exam has he done. You do not describe about any previously undertaken prostate cancer treatment but you commented about a PSA test of 13 months previous. Can you explain his PCa history. When, what and how he was diagnosed.

Regarding the hormonal treatment, I would assume that he was put on antiandrogens, adding now an agonist. Is it correct?

Let us know more details. Many survivors here will share with you their experiences and give you suggestions that you may like to read.

Best wishes,

VG

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,148 Member

Hi,

Sounds like various ADT drug cocktails and radiation therapy might be beneficial to your father. If it was me I would work with your Oncologist and Urologist to figure out what the next step is. A second opinion with a teaching hospital might not be a bad thing. It seems kind of odd that the cancer has left the Prostate and metastasized to other areas. You would think the cancer would remain in the Prostate until all that tissue was compromised.

Dave 3+4

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 605 Member

maybe a second opinion is in order .doesnt sound right to me

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,467 Member

I agree with all of the above posts.

Basically, we need (much) more info to provide some sort of guidance. Little doubt that input from a medical oncologist with experience in prostate cancer is needed.