Brain Metastasis - Radiotherapy

soundsaroja
soundsaroja Member Posts: 15 Member
edited May 20 in Ovarian Cancer #1

My mom (62) initially diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2021 and underwent surgery/chemo. Now we found there is a metastasis in brain (posterior fossa) and three in abdomen lymph nodes. We were told prognosis doesn't look good (in months- as brain metastasis recurrence is risky) and starting ten whole brain radiotherapy sessions for brain now and chemo for lymph nodes later. Has anyone gone through similar experience? what to expect during these treatment sessions?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,476 Member

The Society of Gynecologic Oncology just did a webinar over the weekend on some of the latest findings on research, and there was quite a bit on Ovarian Cancer. Based on the genetic testing, and whether someone had PT53 (I think that was it), and how it responds to PARP inhibitors. I don't see it posted yet to their site, but it was good news for our OC warriors.

To keep her still during treatment, I suspect they will have to screw a mask that goes over her face to the table to keep her still. That could be terrifying (I would find it to be) and she may want to ask for something to relax her if they do not offer it. I would also suggest, although I am not sure how "active" the board is on Head and Neck cancers as well, and see what they have to add. They may have some more insight as well.

YOU are a good daughter. My heart goes out to you and your family.

• soundsaroja
    soundsaroja Member Posts: 15 Member

Thank you for the info, we just gave blood for genetic analysis and doc said depending on results may be he will try out new therapy -🤞