How long to worry about clots and strictures

Options
Marlon
Marlon Member Posts: 7 Member
edited May 7 in Prostate Cancer #1

If I have surgery, how long are blood clots and possible contractures a thing to look out for? Do people still have to pass daily thin catheters through to keep things open for a period of time? I'm wondering if it is advisable to travel overseas within three months of surgery, if all goes well. I know it depends on how things go, but would like to plan out the months after surgery

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited May 6 #2
    Options

Hi,

With my surgery I was not warned about blood clots, what part of your body are you worried about? As far as the catheter goes mine came out in about 10 days with no other need for re-caths. After your cath is removed you will probably leak urine for a few months as you heal. The leakage should get less as time goes by. I doubt if there is any timeframe as far as travel, your doctor should be able to advise you with a timeline. Everyone heals differently so specific times would be a SWAG. Not familiar with the contractures, for what body part?

Dave 3+4

• Marlon
    Options

OK my readings say that you have to be careful about getting blood clots from the surgery that will travel to legs & lungs causing problems. So to keep legs up when sitting for long periods of time.

And that the new connection between urethra and bladder can get scar tissue which impedes the flow of urine out of bladder. One friend told me he had to pass thin catheter into his penis and into bladder daily for a while to keep that passage from closing This is also mentioned in my reference (Walsh book, 4th e.d).

Maybe current techniques make these not an issue anymore.

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

in the era of robotic surgery the sewing of the bladder neck to the urethra is done with excellent vision. This typically results in far fewer contractures of the anastomosis then in the days of open prostatectomies. The days of needing to dilate are not common at all.
    Having said that, the surgeon you choose is important and it is a reasonable question to ask what his/her contracture rate is, how many they do per year, skill with sparing nerves,… and all the other questions you have heard before. You will be pushed to get up and move early after surgery to avoid clot formation. You will also have squeezers on your legs and may have a shot of medics daily to avoid clots. They are pretty rare as well.

jc

• Marlon
    Options

Thanks jc, yes I have discussed with surgeon that these things are possible, but wanting to know what others have experienced. Particularly if there's a time when you can stop worrying about it.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Hi,

As I have always said great doctors+great facilities = great results. Most modern facilities do a very good job post surgery, I don’t think contracture is even an issue. I never peed more freely when I had my Prostate removed, others here have also commented similar. Still have very good flow 10 yrs. later. If I have any scar tissue it is not noticeable to me. I did not have squeezers on my legs after surgery but I do remember the nurses getting me up and walking the same day as surgery + sitting up in a chair. If all goes well you will be in the hospital overnight and go home the next day. I feel not laying around at home is a good thing. I did laps a couple times a day around the inside of my house with the cath bag strapped on my leg to keep active and keep the blood a pumping.

Dave 3+4

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Agree with Dave 3+4. If you have not experienced contracture issues in the first few weeks you should heal just fine without future concerns.
    I am now knocking birds off low hanging branches and spelling my name on the wall with ease since prostate is out. One silver lining to this disease is you should pee like you did when you were 5yrs old.

jc

• Marlon
    Options

Thanks that is exactly the kind of input I needed. And ending my BPH issues at the same time is one reason I am leaning towards surgery vs radiation.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 535 Member
    edited May 7 #9
    Options

i worried more than anyone ..i had salvage survery with much greater side effects ..catherter was easy cleaned myself in the morning in the afternoon didn’t even have to clean the bag They told me ,,,they gave me three day bags three night bags …drank a lot of water. Did a lot of walking had out in seven days no problem at all. I was walking the halls all night long the night of surgery the day after surgery I was released and went sightseeing. My son drove us all around, stop reading into it. Stop worrying if you want surgery get it done. Ask around since my diagnosis i found out that i know 5 men that had surgery all of them are cancer free and no problems with incontinence at all