Just had MRI

Options
Fixmflym
Fixmflym Member Posts: 10 Member

Hello everyone, just had MRI because my PSA was 14. I have 3 lesions:

1. 1.6 × 0.8 x 1.4 cm lesion left anterior transition zone at the mid gland (ROI #1). PI-RADS 5: Very high (clinically significant cancer is highly likely to be present)
  2. 1.9 x 0.9 x 2.5 cm lesion right posterolateral peripheral zone at the gland base and mid gland with possible extraprostatic extension (ROI #2). PI-RADS 5: Very high (clinically significant cancer is highly likely to be present)
    .3 0.7 x 0.4 cm lesion left posterolateral peripheral zone at the gland base (ROI #3). PI-RADS 4: High (clinically significant cancer is likely to be present

My Dr. hasn’t called me back yet, so it’ll be Monday I’m sure. I’m not knowledgeable yet about all of this. I’m an Airline Pilot and have reached out to our flight nurse, but that to was at the end of the day Friday as well, so no call back. Can anybody give me the nitty gritty on what they see here?
im scheduled for a biopsy on Tuesday but I’m just sitting here with this and don’t know how to process this.

Comments

• Fixmflym
    Options

Also, here’s my prostrate size:

PROSTATE
    Size: 4.8 × 3.6 × 3.7 cm.
    Estimated volume: 33.90 mL. PSA density: 0.35 ng/mL &2.

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 4 #3
    Options

Sorry. you are dealing with this.

You will need an MRI guided biopsy. One commercial term for this is "fusion biopsy." They use an ultrasound probe in the rectum and biopsy either through the rectum or the "taint," (perineum) to get tissue. The fusion part is software that uses the MRI findings to guide areas of interest and take samples. This can be done in the office, is more frequently done in the OR. I had mine in the OR. It is well tolerated, bloody semen for a while and bloody urine sometimes. There is a slightly lower infection rate when biopsied trans-perineally but the transrectal rate is also very low.

After the biopsy you will get to the nuts and bolts of what is going on. Your MRI is very suggestive of cancer unless you have had a recently bad prostate infection (you would know if you did). They will grade your tumor by the Gleason's system and give you a feel for which Gleason's group you stratify to in terms of risk of disease progression. Your risk stratification, MRI findings, and PSA will determine what type and how aggressive your treatment recommendation will be. This will be the steepest learning curve for you and your research. Looking into what options you have and what works best for your lifestyle is likely one of the more important decisions you will make.

There are many blog topics on this site that will have links to good online information. The Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic sites should have ample, well researched and accurate, information as well. I hope this gets you started, you are not alone, many great guys on this site to share the experience with.

This is a survivable problem, It does suck to go through the treatment but you will get through this.

jc

• Fixmflym
    Options

Appreciate the info. A shock to the system for sure. I know I have not had a prostate infection so I can guess this is the real deal. Will give an update when I know more. Thanks again.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

Love that post from jc5549. Quite informative without being opinionated.

Best wishes on your journey! We (survivors) will try to help you along, if needed.

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Don't get too agitated, until you fully review the results with the medical professional who ordered it. It is simply not mentally or emotionally productive for you.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Some things I note:

You have lesions on both the left and right side.

The first one listed is well inside the prostate, to the front. The second looks to be going to the boundary of the capsule, and will have your doc’s attention.

Prostate is normal-sized.

When you do get a biopsy, ask about how they will make sure to sample all the lesions. The first one listed is “anterior” which means the front of the prostate. With a typical biopsy, it is harder for them to reach the front area of the prostate.

I’m a commercial pilot, and I am currently on active surveillance with cancer. I have to get my urologist to fill out some FAA paperwork to take to my annual flight exam.

• Fixmflym
    Options

Thanks a million for the info, my Flight Nurse called me a bit ago. I’ll definitely check on that info you mentioned. I just came off of LTD of a year due to 2 back surgeries. I’ve been flying the line for 2 months and now this. I’m 58 so I’ve got 6 years 4 months until the end of my career. I Pray to God I can fly until then after I get through this!!!

• centralPA
    Options

Were you prior military?

• Fixmflym
    Options

Civilian, flew freight for 9 year’s before getting on with the Airlines.

• centralPA
    edited May 5 #11
    Options

If you’re in the cockpit, it’s all freight. 😗

I was a pilot in the Navy, I did not go to the airlines when I got out. I have a mostly desk job now, but do some commercial flying as a side gig.

Some info…

https://www.aviationmedicine.com/article/prostate-cancer/#:~:text=If%20prostate%20cancer%20is%20diagnosed,FAA%20while%20under%20careful%20observation.

• Fixmflym
    Options
  • Fixmflym
    Options

Just saw the rest of your reply. My son is a civilian Instructor for the NIFE Program at KPNS.
    what did you fly in the Navy?

• Fixmflym
    Options

Thanks for this info!!! Very helpful!!!

• centralPA
    Options

I flew E2 Hawkeyes in the fleet, and T2 Buckeyes as a flight instructor. Some cats and dogs otherwise. I’m 63 now, so looong time ago. Super fond memories…

• RonB
    RonB Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

So sorry to hear you're going through this. My journey to learning about my cancer started last May with a blood test that showed elevated PSA (11.2) and I was finally diagnosed via biopsy in December after a biopsy. That's really the only way to tell. The biopsy was originally frightening when I speculated on how those samples would be drawn but turned out to be awkward and a little uncomfortable more than really being painful.

The diagnosis will open a lot of doors and those will create a lot of questions but there are lots of folks who care and will help you through what will be one of the more personal decisions of a lifetime. I struggled between surgery and radiation for months, finally settling on surgery which is scheduled for July. My surgeon is confident the incontinence will be temporary (a few months) and I've been performing Keegle (sp) exercises to build up strength in the muscles of lower pelvic area.

Hope all this helps and I wish you the very best going forward.

Ron

• Fixmflym
    Options

Thank you for your insight. My biopsy is Tuesday. I’m not as nervous now that I’ve joined the group. This still SUCKS, but I don’t feel so anxious. God Bless!!!

• Fixmflym
    Options

That’s Awesome!!! I’ve worn glasses since 2nd grade. I went to all branches of the military and they said I couldn’t be a pilot for them because of that. Didn’t know about the Guard until I was too old for that. I went to Flight school in Tulsa rather than go to college. It all worked out as I’ve flown many great Aircraft since then. I’m flying the 787 now and am Truly Blessed to be doing what I’m doing.