Effectivity of second RAI treatment without second operation?

Options
shannon1995
shannon1995 Member Posts: 1 *

Hi! So I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma in 2017. Had a total thyroidectomy with bilateral neck dissection for some cancerous lymph nodes in July. RAI (105 mci) in August of the same year. Did a whole body scan in 2018 and it showed that the ablation worked.

Haven’t had any symptoms ever since then. However, because there was a very, very small increase in my anti-thyroglobulins (but my thyroglobulin levels stayed below the cut off), I had to do the scan again just to be safe.

Unfortunately, the cancer recurred recently. Active disease was found in the lower anterior neck and upper thoracic area. This warranted my second RAI treatment (160 mci). Now I wait for 6 months to see if it worked.

In the meantime though, I would love to hear from others about their experience with a second RAI treatment without further operation? Was it effective / successful for you? I’m honestly a bit stressed about the waiting game of 6 months so any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Miles' mom
    Miles' mom Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Hello. I am SO sorry you are going through this. It's crap. My story follows yours up until the 2nd RAI.

RAI is yuk. NO FUN. Not to mention all the bloodwork and scans, CT PET etc. BUT you are a WARRIOR!

I will pray for the absolute best!! Please keep me posted. Send me direct messages even. Whenever you want!!