Metastatic Colon cancer

Options
Romero666
Romero666 Member Posts: 1 *

Hi. I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? My sister was diagnosed at age 45 with colon cancer 5 years ago. She was diagnosed at 3c with 9 lymph nodes involved. NED for 3 years, and then a spot on her liver, which was able to be resected. Now, a year after the liver, it’s in two spots on her lung, which they are able to resect as well. Her surgery is May 1. Currently she is being treated at Sloan Kettering, which I have heard is amazing. I guess I’m just questioning why the surgeries but no adjuvant or anything else being offered? Are they going to just continue to do surgery when these spots pop up? Could she be getting lucky that they are “operable?” I just don’t know what to think. I worry for my mother who is understandably stressed. Any advice or info would be appreciated. I don’t have anyone to talk to about this that understands it. And my sister doesn’t want anyone to know it came back this time. Thank you!!!

Comments

• sgold88
    sgold88 Member Posts: 83 Member
    Options

This sounds very textbook Stg 4 going from colon to liver then to lungs. Your sister is very fortunate to continue having resectable lesions. I don’t buy into statistics because they are just an outdated guide for the most part (my wife shouldn’t be here today if I believed in outdated statistics), but I be read that just 15-30% of liver and lung cases are resectable. MSK is a great facility but so too are so many of the others. Just ask about the lack of adjuvant. Many on this forum received adjuvant in cases similar to your sister. But the doctors surely have a reason. And I would go as far as to say that if it’s adjuvant that you want, then go find a doctor somewhere that will give it to her. Make the outcome what you want it to be! Push for what you want or find it elsewhere. Don’t relent.
    As for your mother, our approach (my wife was stg 4) was to keep it high level, don’t say more than you know and definitely keep it facts-based while limiting negativity. Negativity makes any bad situation worse but has no positive impact in any case at all. Please keep us updated and best of luck as the process unfolds.