Delay times between MRI and Biopsy?

Options
NavyVet1974
NavyVet1974 Member Posts: 4 *

67 y/o male, PSA 6.7ng/ml, recently discovered on blood test. I'm getting healthcare thru VA, who also outsources to local hospital because they have the latest and greatest in MRI/Biopsy abilities. I just had my MRI on 4/21/24 which indicated 19mm lesion and a smaller area of abnormality as well. A targeted biopsy was recommended. PI-RADS 5. Normal sized gland of 25cc.

VA recommended I schedule Biopsy from local hospital, and the soonest I could get scheduled was 7/22/24. To me, that seems quite a delay in treatment, but VA seemed unconcerned. Any thoughts on delaying biopsy for this time period, considering PI-RADS 5? I am new to all of this as it has all recently just been discovered from my annual physical in Jan. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• swl1956
    swl1956 Member Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Sorry you've joined this club, but it's a good place to get some guidance and support. There is an incredible amount to learn about this disease. Seems that most prostate cancers are slow progressing, but 3 months does seem a bit long to wait? In my opinion, get a targeted fusion biopsy, preferably transperineal which is safer than transrectal. You'll need a good biopsy report before figuring out what your treatment options might be. Your gleason score will narrow it down. I know it's not easy, but try to remain calm and make rational decisions. I was diagnosed last November and am scheduled for my first treatment end of May. Six months of stressing out! πŸ˜“ I also had a bone scan and PSMA-PET scan to be more confident there was no metastasis beyond the gland.

If you haven't found him already; Dr. Mark Scholz of PCRI has an informative bunch of videos that I found very helpful. The link below is pertaining to how long can you wait.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-lm&q=dr.+mark+scholz+how+long+can+you+wait#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:a2542947,vid:aotF2SPzCmU,st:0

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

Hi,

If it was me I would look up another Urologist in your area with a good reputation to see if I could get it scheduled earlier. As Swl1956 stated, Prostate cancer is usually slow growing. A targeted biopsy using the MRI data is a good idea.

Dave 3+4

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options

Yes to the two comments above.

TRANSPERINEAL and TARGETED are the two buzz words you should be using when looking for an appointment. Not all urologists are able to handle the most up-to-date versions of our beloved biopsy.

I hope you can get an appointment a bit sooner than 7/22.

• NavyVet1974
    Options

Thank you for this very informative link! I appreciate the time everyone took to reply to me.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Are you 100% disability with the VA?

• NavyVet1974
    Options

No, 40%. I don't have to get my treatment thru VA, but have for a number of years. I have the ability to go outside, but

they are outsourcing my treatments to Adventhealth right now.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,661 Member
    edited April 29 #8
    Options

Hi, NavyVet,

You may be the first member of this forum confirming that you are a "67 y/o male". 😊 I wouldn't expected a female reporting on her PSA 6.7ng/ml. Well nowadays we never know who is behind the curtains.

I understand you of being worried. The PSA is high for a normal size gland (25cc).

The PI-RADS 5 finding signifies that there is an higher probability that such lesion relates to cancer. It has nothing to do with aggressiveness. The biopsy is the ultimate way to confirm those findings and diagnose your situation.

Surely you have time to get a conclusive answer on the matter but if possible try shorten the waiting period for one month.

Please note that there are many ways to treat PCa. Should that be in its initiation or in a more advance status.

For the time being you haven't been diagnosed yet.

Best wishes

VG

• NavyVet1974
    Options

Well, as this forum is hosted on ACS site and supports multiple discussions on different types of cancers, I didn't feel it was

out of place to add a little more info on me. Should I assume that since this is prostate cancer support, only men are allowed to post?

I am rapidly educating myself on PCa, and my question was about the timeframe between MRI and Biopsy. I know that

it is not diagnosed yet, and wouldn't be until a biopsy.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Was joking πŸ™ƒ

Surely your presentation is absolutely normal.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 263 Member
    edited April 29 #11
    Options

I was 0% with the VA, and came down with PCa well after retirement. I then found out that since I was exposed to burn pits and other noxious stuff in Djibouti Africa, Afghanistan, and Iraq, that my PCa is considered presumptively (they don't even question it) to have been caused by those exposures. I'm now 100%.

I don't know this until over a year in, so I left a bunch of money on the table.

If you spent some time in the Middle East or a bunch of other places, you should be too. A list here…

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/specific-environmental-hazards/#how-do-i-know-if-i-have-a-pres

Regarding your "67 year old Male" you should add a "(so far)". Keep everyone on their toes. :)