Diagnosed with mcrnlmp

Options
mchrobak
mchrobak Member Posts: 4 Member

who else is diagnosed with the same? Multilocular cystic renal neoplasm of low malignant potential

Comments

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Since this is a cancer site, there might not be too many people who have had cysts. I hope someone with knowledge of them will jump in.

• Averygirl
    Averygirl Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I am a newbie to this sight and I’m a caregiver to my husband of 53 years. He has been newly diagnosed with kidney cancer. We don’t know the stage or what we are dealing with. He is going for a scope to find out how bad and if it has spread. He has a small mass on his right kidney and lymph nodes are swollen. This happened by having a CT scan as he had blood in his urine. I guess I am looking for hope I know it’s early but we are so frightened.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Hi Averygirl. You'll need to start a new thread since this one is about cysts rather than cancer, and a lot of people who might be able to help you won't see it here.

Like most other people in this group, I had kidney cancer; my kidney was removed almost 6 years ago. If he had a CT, that should have the size on it. Most kidney cancers are staged by size: stage 1 is up to 7 cm, stage 2 is larger than that. If there is local invasiveness to the renal fat or some other things like the main vein in the kidney, or spread to the adrenal gland, it's usually stage 3, and stage 4 is for distant spread to other organs or the bones. The swollen lymph nodes would be harder to assess without further testing since glands can just get irritated by something going on in their vicinity, or if there's something like a cold or an infection somewhere in the body. I have some chubby glands that have no real cause, but they've stayed the same size so there's no reason to investigate further. The good news is that most kidney cancers are cured by surgery, with no other treatment necessary, just monitoring with periodic scans. Immunotherapy is fairly routine for stage 4, and for some stage 3 patients. Even at the higher stages, many patients live for years after diagnosis. The final word on stages and grades will happen after surgery, when the pathologists examine the tumor and the removed kidney or segment for patients who had partial nephrectomies. The scariest part for most people is when they first find out but don't have all the information about what will happen next. You and your husband are there now, but it will get easier.

You mentioned you're the caregiver for your husband; does he have other chronic conditions that will have an impact on surgery and recovery? That would definitely need to be discussed with his primary care doctor and the surgeon.

Good luck to both of you!

• Averygirl
    Averygirl Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your info and words of encouragement. We are going this Friday for a scope so our Urologist can know what he’s dealing with. Then next week with an oncologist. So now things are moving ahead to hopefully get him some answers as to how we deal with this. He has had bladder cancer but is now clear. It was low grade non invasive but the Dr said sometimes these things can run hand in hand. We are still overwhelmed and looking for a path forward. Thank you again and any prayers. Not sure how to start a new thread.