Surgery or radiation therapy

Options
johnattila
johnattila Member Posts: 3 *
edited April 23 in Prostate Cancer #1

I have listened to and read quite a bit. I am trying to decide between surgery and a radiation plan. My cancer is considered treatable by my Dr’s. Any opinions on this broad question between the two? Thank you.

Comments

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

You probably need to provide more input to get useful opinions. How old are you? What is you PCa history? Biopsy pathologies? Any other relevant information (other health issues) that may impact a decision.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options

yes we need to know everything you want to share about your situation

• johnattila
    Options

Early stage / 3 of 13 biopsy samples showed sign of cancer. / 3 + 4 / 3 +3 / 3 + 3. PSA 8. Considered medium risk.

It's been watched for 3 years. Little changes.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 253 Member
    Options

favorable or unfavorable intermediate?

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options

with respect to the three cancers that were identified,

how close to the edge/capsule?

perineural invasion?

Anything else that is relevant?

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited April 23 #7
    Options

Here is a link to a good discussion about the issues that you are facing. Please note that this is from a reputable source; the one that brings you this forum (for free 😊).

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/prostate-cancer/treating/considering-options.html

• johnattila
    Options

In summary, everything is highly favorable.

I hope this can help.

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I was 51 and chose surgery because I felt options are better if there is recurrence. If I was older might have done radiation to start. It seems like both have similar success rates which means similar failure rates. Surgery has immediate side effects, radiation side effects develop over time. Side effects can vary making the decision process hard. If you've been watching this board for sometime, there are varying opinions on all of this and in the end it is you that gets to decide. Get as much info as you can, talk to both radiologist and surgeons, get second opinions and make your most informed decision.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options

what i have learned is this .. I was leery to do radiation but I did it out of my fear of surgery. I had surgery done now and it wasn’t that big a deal so this is what I did and I feel stupid. I put radiation in me which is a poison which could cause cancer later on so I used a poison that could give me cancer to kill a cancer that’s in me and it didn’t work Cancer does not belong in your body. If i could do it all over again. I would rush my **** in the surgery and get rid of it so many men i know since my radiation that had PC had surgery , all of them are continent. Most of them can still get erection and all of them are still cancer free I can’t tell you how bad I feel about making that poor decision. That’s just my thought. The gold standard treatment for prostate cancer is still localized in the prostrate is surgery look it up