HPV+SCC after Multiple Myeloma treatment

Options
jfk603
jfk603 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited April 22 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I was recently diagnosed with HPV+SCC and am having surgery next week. No mention of chemo or radiation yet because doc feels we caught it early and want to see tumor margins and lymph node involvement before we decide.

I was also diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2020 and received chemotherapy for about six months before going into remission. I have since been on a maintenance does of Revlimid and Dexamethasone. I was wondering if anyone else has this association with immunosuppressive Myeloma maintenance therapy and HPV+SCC. Could they be related?

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options

Hello, jfk603, and welcome to the CSN H&N discussion forum.

Exactly what area is your cancer located and do you know what stage it is?

According to what I looked up SCC can involve a lot of different areas…

What is HPV-associated squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx?

HPV-associated squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is a type of oropharyngeal cancer. The oropharynx is an area of the throat that includes the tonsils, base of the tongue,
    uvula, and soft palate. This type of cancer quickly spreads to lymph nodes especially those in the neck. For many patients, the first sign of the disease is a noticeable lump in the neck.

Please keep us updated post-surgery next week.

I would like to say if there is even a slight chance that they didn't get all the cancer, and we are talking down to a cellular level where it can't be seen, then I would recommend being sure to get follow-up radiation and chemo if they feel that would be appropriate. The radiation mops up cancer cells that were missed during surgery because they can't be seen with the naked eye. They may remove a whole tumor that is encapsulated and then they could be confident that all the cancer is in that tumor and it would be safe to skip follow-up post-surgery treatment.

So if you can avoid it (radiation and chemo)great but if there is any question don't skip it, treatment for H&N cancer is a one-shot deal, you don't want to visit this again if at all possible, once and done is what you want.

As far as the maintenance therapy you are on I am not familiar with it but maybe someone else on here may be able to help you out on that.

Our Motto here is (NEGU) Never Ever Give Up

Also, you may want to check out the "Superthread" at the top of the H&N main page…

Wishing You The Very Best

Take Care God Bless

Russ

• jfk603
    jfk603 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

thanks for the response. My cancer is on my tonsil.

Thank you also for the positive thoughts. No chance I’m giving up. Got through the Myeloma and this is just another thing I need to get through so one day I the distant future I can die of something else.

• goffrey
    goffrey Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I highly doubt there is a connection since HPV+SCC is causes by a virus that most of us are infected with but normally clears from our body. When it lingers silently it can later cause cancer. But it is only caused by a virus.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options

Hello, jfk603, and welcome to the CSN H&N discussion forum.

Exactly what area is your cancer located and do you know what stage it is?

According to what I looked up SCC can involve a lot of different areas…

What is HPV-associated squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx?

HPV-associated squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is a type of oropharyngeal cancer. The oropharynx is an area of the throat that includes the tonsils, base of the tongue,
    uvula, and soft palate. This type of cancer quickly spreads to lymph nodes especially those in the neck. For many patients, the first sign of the disease is a noticeable lump in the neck.

Please keep us updated post-surgery next week.

I would like to say if there is even a slight chance that they didn't get all the cancer, and we are talking down to a cellular level where it can't be seen, then I would recommend being sure to get follow-up radiation and chemo if they feel that would be appropriate. The radiation mops up cancer cells that were missed during surgery because they can't be seen with the naked eye. They may remove a whole tumor that is encapsulated and then they could be confident that all the cancer is in that tumor and it would be safe to skip follow-up post-surgery treatment.

So if you can avoid it (radiation and chemo)great but if there is any question don't skip it, treatment for H&N cancer is a one-shot deal, you don't want to visit this again if at all possible, once and done is what you want.

As far as the maintenance therapy you are on I am not familiar with it but maybe someone else on here may be able to help you out on that.

Our Motto here is (NEGU) Never Ever Give Up

Also, you may want to check out the Superthread at the top of the H&N main page…

Wishing You The Very Best

Take Care God Bless

Russ