New here, about to start chemo this week.

Options
MissMichele84
MissMichele84 Member Posts: 1 *

Hello all! I was diagnosed with breast cancer after doing my very first mammogram this year. This Tuesday I go have my port put in, which I am absolutely terrified about ! I know it will be better than them sticking me in the arms every 3 weeks, but I still am not looking forward to this ! I go for an Echo on Wednesday, and then Thursday I start my first round of chemo. I have been in a constant state of panic since I found out. I have been through a lot of hard stuff in my life, but never anything quite like this. What does the port feel like? Will I always feel it in me? What will chemo do to me? Will I be able to live a somewhat normal life for the next year? I would love to meet people and share similar experiences and get tips and advice and just have someone to talk to!

Comments

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Don't know why they scheduled your chemo only 2 days after your port is installed. It takes about 7 days to heal with the sutures. I also had some minor pain but drugs helped. See if you can push your chemo start date by at least one week if possible. What chemo will you be on? Type of BC? I'm HER2 positive and ER/PR negative. I was on docetaxel and 2 targeted drugs specific to my type of cancer. Herceptin and Perjeta. These were infused every 3 weeks. Keep track of all side effects and call your Oncologist for assistance if needed. Don't wait!

Make sure you have all prescription and over the counter meds before chemo starts. I bought a compartment type container to keep them in. All anti nausea/vomiting drugs together, all anti diarreah drugs together, steroids, and Claritin/Benadryl to counter Neulasta shot. I also bought adult pads and bed pads in case of diarreah accidents.

Make sure you have enough toilet paper, and Kleenex in case your nose runs or bleeds.

I also ordered a chemo cold gel cap to help minimize permanent hair loss. Also cold gel mitts and booties to try and minimize neuropathy to hands and feet. I got these on Amazon. Chemo caps/hats and a good summer hat, like a Wallaroo brand, for summer if you shave your head. My hair started to fall out 2 weeks after 1st chemo treatment. Good cream for your head, nails and skin.

Stay hydrated, especially after chemo to flush out the chemo drugs from your system. I drank a lot of Cranberry juice to stay hydrated, and loaded up on Boost and Ensure protein drinks to have when I couldn't eat much. Got these delivered from Amazon too.

Good luck and reach out if you need. I finished my cytotoxic chemo treatments in February, had lumpectomy in March, and will start radiation therapy in May. I'll also receive 6 more months of the targeted drugs through November.