4 weeks post RALP and total incontinence during the day

Options
Kevin81
Kevin81 Member Posts: 8 Member

Ok, so I know we are lucky, my husband is back to light golfing (not using the driver until this week) active, and feels great except for the constant incontinence during the daytime hours. Unless he is lying down sleeping or lying on the couch he is leaking continuously all day going through maybe 10 pads. Is this something that gradually gets better, or all of a sudden? He continues to do kegals 5x daily and is beginning Physical therapy/biofeedback in 2 weeks. Thanks for any input. Is surgical intervention to help with this a possibility?

Comments

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options

hmm hope so im 3 weeks out same problem but only 2-3 pads but then again i dont drink alot of fluids because of that

• On_A_Journey
    On_A_Journey Member Posts: 99 Member
    Options

After my surgery, I was leaking like a sieve but it gradually improved and I went from #2 pads, to #1 pads, to shields, to nothing most of the time, until things eventually deteriorated years later to the point that I did eventually undergo a procedure to deal with it.

From what I've read about your husband's journey, it is early days yet. Yes, surgery is an option down the track (I am now almost completely dry after mine, just a few dribbles here and there every other day) but I wouldn't be booking anything in yet.

This is my thread about my incontinence and what I did about it:

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

Hi,

Hopefully and I said hopefully he will continue to improve over time. Four weeks out is pretty soon to notice a dramatic improvement in my non medical humble opinion. It took me about a year to stabilize with improvement along the way. It will take time, keep doing the Kegals and going to physical therapy/biofeedback should help. Just be thankful that sitting and sleeping he is keeping dry, that's a start. Installing a internal clamp in my opinion would be a last resort if he does not regain holding his urine satisfactory to his needs.

Dave 3+4

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Look. I peed in a lot of pads. This incontinence started tapering off around the 4th month and I was completely dry by the 6th month. This never slowed me or my wife down. Something that I think helped me was to try and stop and start the flow myself. If I got this right from the surgeon, in my surgery, the internal urinary sphincter was dissected (no longer there), that leaves me with one external urinary sphincter to do what 2 used to do. Anyway the incontinence did stop, but it never stopped me from doing what my wife and i wanted to do. Good luck on your journey.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options

All good comments.

Time is on your (husband's side)…