Newly diagnosed with endometrial cancer….

Options
TennesseeSunshine
TennesseeSunshine Member Posts: 4 Member

Hello! So, here I am on the journey no one wants to take. I’ve recently been diagnosed at the end of February 2024 with Endometrial Cancer. I’m 57 and had some spotting and bleeding, which led to a biopsy and the cancer diagnosis. Saw my ONC/GYN at the beginning of April, and just had my radical hysterectomy robotically performed 5 days ago. Follow up at the end of the month will give me more answers. I do know it’s high grade carcinoma.

My question—- How do you deal with the feelings and emotions? I’m not doing well with it lol. Sad, angry, hopeful, lost……I’m feeling it all. Just looking for some guidance or suggestions on how you cope!

Comments

• Mercorby
    Mercorby Member Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Hi,

Welcome to this forum - though I am sorry for the reasons that bring you here. Many, if not most of us, have experienced your same feelings. I have a few things to share that I hope you will find helpful.

1.) Go to a therapist, or a counselor that specializes in supporting cancer patients. This can sometimes be found at the place where you are getting cancer treatment. Perhaps your doctor's office has resources for you. Nowadays, you can get appointments online.

2.) Call the Share Uterine Cancer (toll-free) 844-582-6005 Patient support line for peer support and information. (Yes, I do work for Share - after volunteering. ) https://www.sharecancersupport.org/uterine-cancer/ has many good webinars that you may find helpful. Or join a support group that is for women with gynoncological cancers locally.

3.) Do the things that make you you. Do the things that you like if you can. I know that you are just 5 days into recovery from surgery. If it is ok with your doctor and weather permits, a short walk outside can really help clear your head. Journaling, meditating, etc, can help you process what you are feeling. Recently, someone recommended something to do while sitting in my chair: putting my arms out to my sides, shoulder level, if possible) and shaking them out for a short time, then put them down and think about your breathing. It really did relieve the tension I was feeling at the moment.

I know many people on this forum have other wonderful ideas as well. But I want you to know that you are not alone. This is a sisterhood that we didn't want to join, but we do care about each other.

Best wishes to you.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

Hey TennesseeSunshine, I'm sorry you had to find us.

To address your question, and it is not the answer, everyone is different but I suspect others will be along to share how they dealt with it all. It is good to hear you were on it when you experienced spotting and that you are working with a Gyn Onc. Hopefully you taking care of yourself as you recover from surgery and don't over do.

I will say, everything you are feeling is perfectly normal. It is so overwhelming to try and wrap your head around. I think I was just in a state of terror, but as I tried to calm myself- and my sisters - I was able to work the plan my doctors built for me. For me it was a journey to work through so when I got that it gave me comfort.

I look forward to the other women stopping in and sharing.

• Mercorby
    Options

Upcoming webinar:

Looks good. It's free, and part 1 of a 3 part series.

• TennesseeSunshine
    Options

Wow! Thank you so much for all this information. It’s super helpful and insightful. I signed up for the webinar and have bookmarked the SHARE site. I really appreciate it!

• TennesseeSunshine
    Options

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. You really nailed a lot of this for me explaining your own experience…..”state of terror” really clicked. It is wonderful to see the sense of community and compassion here.

• TennesseeSunshine
    Options

Thank you for letting me verbally vomit my emotions lol. It’s been building up for a bit. The suggestions are great and I feel as if I finally have a steady footing for making the first steps in dealing emotionally. I’m grateful for your support.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Sometimes it is hard to find people who have our type of cancer and who understand. I am glad you found us so early. It is always a safe place for patients and their families. Sometimes it is too much for a patient, which makes total sense, and their loving families find us. All are among friends here.

• ziasoleil
    ziasoleil Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 19 #9
    Options

. I went to the Oasis of Hope 49 years ago after being diagnosed with 4 stage uterine cancer. Obviously I recovered and I still have my uterus. I chose all natural, non toxic treatments and regained my health. Dr Contreras senior was one of my doctors and his son is now there. I don’t think it was called the Oasis of Hope then and it wasn’t the beautiful hospital that it is now. I also followed the Garson protocols as best I could with the encouragement of Dr Pina, my other doctor at the Oasis of Hope. There is now a Garson center but it opened after my recovery. I have met many, many cancer survivors over the years that pursued the alternative route. Very few, if any side effects, just the elimination of the cancer. Some had given up after conventional treatments failed and alternative treatments saved them but many, like myself, had done alternative treatments first and never had conventional treatment.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

ziasoleil, very happy you are still doing so well. Things have changed so much in 49 years. Everyone must do their own research and make their own decisions.

• ziasoleil
    Options

thank you! I do try and keep up with the world of alternative treatments. If I were newly diagnosed now I might go to the Issels clinic in Santa Barbara and I would definitely juice the fresh fan leaves of the cannabis plant. I juiced them for a neighbor with IV stage pancreatic cancer and the results were nothing short of miraculous.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

ziasoleil, While I am happy for you, be advised this treatment has been shown NOT to be effective and bordering on advice. That is not tolerated in this space and will get reported to the moderators. Your treatment that is NOT free and takes money from people in dire situtations.

I have been on this board a very long time and I have lost many friends. You do you, but stop pedaling for these doctors and centers.

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

NTFC is absolutely right! I, too, have been around awhile, and have lost many friends here. We could just roll our eyes at such suggestions and ignore them, but this board serves real people in serious situations that involve life and death. Thank you, NTFC!

A

• ziasoleil
    Options

I’m sharing my personal experiences as a 49 year cancer survivor. My purpose in posting is to be an example of recovery. My only advice to anyone diagnosed is to look at options and to choose what feels right. Obviously I don’t agree that alternative therapies have been shown to be not effective. I chose what was right for me. I’m not “pedaling” anything. Conventional treatment isn’t free either even if it doesn’t cost the patient any money because of insurance.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 968 Member
    Options

do you have scientific evidence that marijuana cures cancer? We like evidence based medicine here. If it works there would be studies showing it did.

• Mercorby
    Options

Everything I see about marijuana is for symptom control, not about curing cancer. In some cases, it helps, and others it hinders.

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects/cancer.html

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/managing-cancer/treatment-types/complementary-and-integrative-medicine/marijuana-and-cancer.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK224387/

https://news.cancerresearchuk.org/2022/05/13/cannabis-cannabinoids-and-cancer-the-evidence-so-far/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7409346/

Here is an excellent resource about medicine and media literacy from FORCE

CAN YOU TELL WHICH HEALTH INFORMATION IS TRUSTWORTHY?

https://www.facingourrisk.org/BOAST/?utm_source=Pardot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Digital_Health_Literacy_Email_1

Best wishes.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 968 Member
    Options

Tennessesunshine I hope you are doing ok. Waiting is such a hard time. I read an article that said receiving this diagnosis can give you post traumatic stress disorder. So yeah, you are emotional. I found going new places helped during the waiting. And I kept busy. And don't read articles that are old. They are out of date and can be worrisome. And good luck. You are younger and I think the articles I read said young age helps. We are here for you.