Psa test freq following RT

Options
rhobo23
rhobo23 Member Posts: 3 *
edited April 12 in Prostate Cancer #1

I just finished post-RP salvage RT in January. My first PSA was about 3 weeks ago at 0.13 vs. 0.20 when RT was started. Post RP pathology rated me at a 3+4 Gleason with a few mm of positive margin and some perineural invasion. They have me scheduled for next psa in 6 months on basis that post RT the PSA should move real slow. I did have a body scan prior to RP that came out negative except for prostate. Should I press for next PSA sooner? (I am 73yo). Thx in advance for opinions…

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Hi,

Sounds like you had follow up RT after your Prostate was removed? Was that done as a precaution, did they find more cancer on another scan after your Prostate was removed? I would go with the six month PSA as it will take the radiation some time to kill the cancer(if there was any) and stabilize to some number. I would think the six month period will start a series of PSA tests looking for a stabilized number thus indicating your cancer has not spread.

Dave 3+4

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

I don't know what the 'official' recommendation is for a case such as yours. In accord with Clevelandguy, I think that a six-month waiting time is reasonable. But it won't hurt to get a data point at 3 months. Together with the six-month data point, you might be able to see a trend.

I do hope that in due time the data will show a further downward trend from 0.13.

• rhobo23
    Options

thanks guys for the input. I agree that 3 months may not be needed, but might alleviate concern if psa continues to drop or alternatively flag an issue if it rises so they could jump on it sooner.

• rhobo23
    Options

Initial pre-RP scan was a CT scan with radio isotope of TC, not a psma pet scan. I understand Medicare covers up to 2 psma pet scans after primary treatment. Will press for that if psa climbs.