Focal Cryo Therapy for initial treatment

Options
2»

Comments

• knowayout1
    knowayout1 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I have read many positive things about nano knife. I am in SW Virginia, closest facility that has any experience with focal treatments is in North Carolina. I am 65 and have a wife with dementia, so traveling out of state is not going to be convenient by any means. I definitely do want to try focal treatments first, even if I can not get insurance to pay.

I do not know yet if I will even be eligible for focal treatment, still waiting on biopsy results, but I have some of the same concerns about traveling out of the area.

• swl1956
    swl1956 Member Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Sound like you have your hands full. 😒

Did you have an MRI which shows a lesion? Hopefully your biopsy results will bring good news. When you get the biopsy info you'll be able to get opinions and start thinking about a plan of action. I'm guessing you're talking about Duke University Hospital? If so,Duke is a center of excellence. Likely a good choice. There are places around the world where they do a higher volume of IRE nanoknife procedures but like you, it's logistically impossible for me. I'm taking my chance with Fox Chase. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but hopeful it may work out well for me. You might find that many urologists will discourage focal treatments. They like to stick to standards of care, but I believe Focal therapy for select patients is becoming much more accepted as more encouraging data comes in. Seems like all the prominent institutions are experimenting with or offering them as an option. Keep us posted on your journey.

• knowayout1
    knowayout1 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Yes, my MRI showed a BI-rad 4 lesion of .8cm. My PSA has gone up for the last three times and is at .22ng.

I am trying to stay optimistic, hope that I can do something other than surgery.

• swl1956
    swl1956 Member Posts: 92 Member
    Options

.22 ? Do you mean 2.2 or 22? Yeah, surgery side effects are scary. Your biopsy report will narrow down the options you have. I recently got a PSMA PET scan which confirmed I had no metastasis. That gave me some relief. This stuff is really messing with my head. It is difficult to stay optimistic but do you best.