2 years post treatment - 52 yo - quitting flouride, embracing flossing

Options
swimbody
swimbody Member Posts: 68 Member
edited April 9 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I had left tonsil excision as well as a lymphectomy plus 33 rounds of max 70Gy radiation treatments coupled with 6 rounds of chemo, half cisplatin until my hearing suffered and then half carboplatin and taxol. The cisplatin roasted the main veinous pathway in my right arm. I returned to competitive master swimming last year after regaining some strength and now lift 3x a week and swim 3x a week. I seemed to have regained nearly all my salivary glands in my mouth as I visit a specific cancer dentist here in Houston 2x a year. The hygienist said the moisture in my mouth was the same as other non cancer patients. I quit drinking sodas, quit drinking alcohol, I rarely drink coffee, I eat ZERO fast food because…that's not food. I eat a clean high mineral plant based diet that is very anti-inflammatory. I learned my lesson from cancer.

I spoke with an orthodontic friend of mine about the flouride usage nonstop for the rest of my life. He told me point blank that daily ritualistic flossing is the most important thing I could do to save my teeth. He said the flouride wasn't necessary with daily flossing at my age, of which I've become obsessed with doing so. Anyone have moisture return and gave up the flouride? I stopped it a few months ago. I have noticed a mild cognitive issue occurring in me and looked up flouride as a possible culprit. I do not want dementia and will do whatever I need to fend that off.

Anyone else follow along with this situation?

Comments

• Mavish
    Mavish Member Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I had right tonsil SCC 8 years ago at the age of 50. Same treatmets as yo had, except chemo.

My body over reacted to the RT and O had severe mouth ulcers, it took 18monts to heal, than had osteoradionecrosis, with exposed bone between 2018 and 2023. Finally exposed bone had broken and fell off.

During that time, I felt that floride may me making thing worse in terms pf tissue healing etc.. And stop using floride 3-4 years ago.

This coinside with other things such as laser treatment to increase blood circulation, I wasn on Doxycicline (an antibiotic) about year and a half to prevent infections that I had having due to the exposed bone. I dont have any ulcers in my moth since then.

So far, I dod not have any cavities. I had my teetht cleaned every 4 months. I use waterpick for flossing, I used the little brush ( iti is for kids have braces) to clean the areas were teet meet with gums. I use a tootpaste calde Remin, which had nonoparticles and hydroxyapatite strengthening the teeth.

Just my experience. I am considering using floride again, but just onece a month, incase...

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options

My doctor told me to use fluoride too. After a few years I started applying it every other day and so far, (12 years) no cavities or any other dental issues. Flossing is your best bet. Over 30 years ago I had gum disease and flossing cured that problem. Although it takes about 10 minutes to go through my ritual, it's worth the trouble. I floss, use a proxy brush, then brush gently to remove the plaque. I finish up with a Water Pic. Applying fluoride every other day isn't that big of a problem.

Your plan is a good one.