Treatment Complete - Let the Healing Begin

Options
RAKGA
RAKGA Member Posts: 7 Member
edited April 8 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi everyone. My husband completed his last of 7 chemos last Monday and his last of 35 radiation treatments on Friday. It was a very emotional week as it was as taxing as everyone describes. know that this first week after treatment can be the worst and it is shaping up to be so.

We were lucky in that he did not have any throat pain until last week but over the weekend, it became excrutiating when he coughs or spits up. They called in morphine but he says it does not do much. His mucus is twinged with blood right now too.

Our main problem is that he simply is not getting enough calories. His stomach is super sensitive and we went through several types of formula before landing on Compleat. Even with that, he can only get in 1-2 packets per day. I am adding Benecalorie and some protein liquid as well but there are days he barely hits 1000 calories. :( I am praying the pain slowly subsides so I can begin pressing food again on top of the formula.

He is going in every day this week for fluids and potassium and magnesium infusions and will likely continue next week as well.

What is everyone's experience with the amount of time after treatment to the throat pain beginning to subside? Any tricks or suggestions on getting through this time?

Comments

• Swoosh13
    Swoosh13 Member Posts: 74 Member
    Options

RAKGA,

My husband completed similar treatment the end of October. He had terrible “looking” mucositis in his throat meaning at least it looked worse than it felt to him. It healed in about one week post treatment. He only took extra strength Tylenol as he was allergic to opiates. He did lose about 30 pounds but has regained 20. We love having breakfast out together and that’s how he started getting a lot of his taste back (he’s plateaued at about 70% right now), with most things tasting pretty good, and at least not “terrible” as they were while he was going through treatment. His PET scan in February was all clear so we are very blessed.
    You are just in a difficult couple of weeks now when you’ll find day by day he’ll start to feel better. Also it was 65 by us today (southeastern WI) so perhaps getting outside for a short walk would be helpful depending on where you live.
    Prayers being sent for a swift and peaceful recovery.
    Swoosh13

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,277 Member
    Options

Congrats, so glad your husband has finished all his treatments.

You are correct that the weeks right after treatment can be the worst because the radiation is still adding up in his system and it has been referred to on here as you are "Still Cookin".

I think the average estimate after treatment is over is for things to get worse in 2 weeks, and up to four weeks, and whenever you hit that worst plateau area you will slowly start feeling better just a little at a time up to about 8 weeks and then improvement should be much better from there on. Keep in mind these are estimates and each person and case is different. Your husband is in his first week so by the second week his soreness may be lifting but it is just a wait-and-see approach and deal with what you have as best as you can and get through each day to the next one and by and by he will be feeling better before you know it.

I assume you are using a feeding tube, is that the case? If not that's fine as long as he can get something through. There are other things to try also like Boost VHC. Right now just experiment and do what works. There is no perfect combination just do whatever helps him the most comfort-wise and getting in nutrition-wise.

Sounds like you have good support from your care team since He is going in every day this week for fluids and potassium and magnesium infusions. This helps them monitor him closely to help avoid some problems that might occur, they can spot problems this way.

Basically, this is tough and brutal treatment and you just have to go from day to day and eventually, you will get up some morning and say, hey my throats not quite as sore today and you know what, I don't feel like really terrible today everything is pretty tolerable. He is at near the worst point, it can only get better from here.

I remember a lady on here a long time ago saying something like "I am doing whatever I need to do to get from week to week, day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute, and even second to second if need be". She was probably near the end or at the end of treatment like your husband is.

He will get through this and in 6 months you will be amazed how much better he feels.

Also keep in mind the recovery from this is a slow process taking weeks and months, up to a year or more for some cases so it will take a bit but it is a steady process.

I didn't offer you much but I can verify what you already know.

Wishing You The Best

NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

Take Care, God Bless

Russ