Two year Hormone treatment

Options
Richlee
Richlee Member Posts: 3 Member
edited April 8 in Prostate Cancer #1

Do most high risk stage 3, Gleason 9 prostate cancer patients start long term hormone theropy right after radiation treatments?

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Hi,

From what other people have written here it’s pretty common.

Dave 3+4

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

That is a decision that a Medical Oncologist will work give you advice on. Hopefully, you have have one who is leading any efforts in therapies on your medical team. If you don't currently have a Medical Oncologist who specializes in PCa, I recommend that you engage with one, as they are the experts on hormonal therapies.

Regarding your specific question, that is a decision that you will make with advice from a Medical Oncologist. Often, the hormonal therapy (ADT) will start before the radiation, in order to weaken the PCa cells (testosterone deprivation) before hitting them with radiation. I underwent 2 years of ADT, along with SBRT (CyberKnife), when a local metastasis was found in my pubic bone.

Each person's PCa status/case is different, and the therapies can differ, depending upon the individual circumstances of the case. That is why you will want to receive sage advice from a Medical Oncologist. At the end of the day the choice of therapies is your and your alone to make, so you will want to receive that best medical advice that you can obtain, to help guide you in your choices.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Often hormone therapy is started PRIOR to radiation. The rationale is that hormone therapy makes the cancer more sensitive to radiation.