Incontinence, Pads & Underwear

Options
Angstromm
Angstromm Member Posts: 12 Member
edited April 9 in Prostate Cancer #1

Hi,

I had a radical prostatectomy about 3 weeks ago. I'm leaking some urine when I cough, sneeze and sometimes with standing up. Not major. I'm currently using Depend Incontinence Guards (diapers) with a pad.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has suggestions for regular underwear that works well with pads. I've always worn loose fitting underwear (or none), so not too familiar with snugger versions.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

PS: I you put underwear in the search box, you can find some other recommendations.

• Angstromm
    Options

Thanks much, Old Salt, just the sort of advice I was looking for. And I do a search for underwear as you suggested.

• jc5549
    jc5549 Member Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 7 #4
    Options

I am just 8 weeks out and feel the pain. I find any quality nylon boxer brief accommodates the pads well. Example below. Reebok makes a great brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W5DH3GX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

jc

• Angstromm
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion and link! Do you wear, with pads, a size up or just normal size. I've read where others up the size to help accommodate for the pads.

• Angstromm
    Options
  • Angstromm
    Options

Thanks again for the underwear suggestion—they work perfectly and are so much more comfortable (and less wasteful) then the Depends I was using.

• jc5549
    Options

Great news, yes they are much better than any pull up brand like depends, those seams are really bad.

• Angstromm
    Options

It's the wee (sorry) things that help to make this particular journey a tad bit less trying.

• eonore
    eonore Member Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I tried a few different brands and settled on Duluth Trading Post Buck Naked boxer briefs. They fit me well and have been very durable through many washes.
    Eric

• jc5549
    Options

Don’t expect so much from yourself and your urinary continence early on.
    I had in mind that I would be near dry at six weeks post-op. Its likely I will remember it as if I was in a few years, however, it’s nowhere close in reality.
    At eight weeks I’m significantly better than I was at three weeks. Not close to where I want to be. It can take 6months to a year to get there, there is about a 90% chance we will be pleased with our outcome at one year.
    I did pelvic floor rehab starting at 2 weeks, if you have not done so you may consider.
    Would love to hear more tips from guys further down the road than us.
    jc

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

For sure, be patient. As stated above, it can take a long time before continence/incontinence settles down. For most folks, 'normalcy' eventually can be attained in time.

• Angstromm
    Options

Thanks, guys, for the tips and concern. I've been figuring that it's going to take a good while before something approaching normalcy is achieved.

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Hi,

No two cases are alike but I started with a maxy pad, then a few months later to a light pad which I still wear today. It is a slower process that most of us would like but hopefully you will notice less leakage as time(weeks? months?) go by. I still do my Kegals every day ten years later, use it or lose it is my motto.

Dave 3+4

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options

I am "fighting" incontinence too.

My experience is not related to the radical prostatectomy of 2000 or to the salvage radiation of 2006 but to a recurrence of the cancer at the urethra's sphincter.

It all started 5 month ago when ADT kicked in. The effects of the drug has turned the sphincter in a sort of "numbed status".

The bladder's detrusor muscle seems to be working nicely but this is sensitive to the neurotransmitter signals coming from the sphincter at the urethra leading to a status of micturition.

At the first feeling of passing urine I contract the pelvic floor muscles and the dribbling stops.

The occurrences are mostly when I bent or get tired. Sort of stress incontinence. At night I am 100% dry.

What I want to share with those reading my post in this thread is to consider the effects of any medication one is taking. I have stopped diuretics and 5-ARI which has shown some improvement. Unfortunately I cannot stop the agonist that may be the main "culprit" in the problem.

Best wishes for a fast improvement to those fighting this front line in the war against the bandit.

VG