Phobia to Vomiting but need Colonoscopy

Options
bnicemendez
bnicemendez Member Posts: 4 Member
edited April 12 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi everyone. I’m new here and found this forum while looking up colorectal cancer symptoms. I’m a triple negative breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in 2015 and underwent surgery, chemo and radiation.

So I’ve always had issues with constipation my whole life. I was diagnosed with IBS long ago. However, for about a year now, I feel like symptoms have gotten worse. Not sure if it’s due to age. I initially started getting this gnawing sensation on my left abdomen area with bloating. Then the bloating went away and the gnawing turned into intermittent pain. I seem to get the pain mostly when I haven’t gone for a few days. My doctor told me to use senna which I also had to use during treatment. I’ve been drinking smooth move tea on and off and it helps reduce the uncomfortable feeling. I also think I have hemorrhoids because sometimes it hurts when it comes out (sorry TMI). I think I need a colonoscopy but I’m deathly afraid of the prep due to horror stories about vomiting (my phobia). Any thoughts/suggestions?? Thank you all.

Comments

• PatrickR1950
    PatrickR1950 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I had a colonoscopy last Monday. The prep solution tasted unpleasant, but was told to drink no more than eight ounces at a time and then wait fifteen minutes before repeating. Pacing it that way helped me avoid more than a slight twinge of nausea.

All the best.

• bnicemendez
    Options

Thank you for your feedback. Which prep did you get? I know there’s several. What were your symptoms that led you to get one?

• PatrickR1950
    PatrickR1950 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

It was PEG 3350. It came in I guess a gallon container as a powder, that I mixed with water. An hour before starting on the solution I took some laxative pills. I then drank half the liquid in 8 oz glasses, one every 15 mins or so. Then I got up at 5am in the morning to repeat the process with the other half. Very unpleasant night spent near the bathroom, but I did not vomit nor feel like vomiting. Just a temporary wave of light nausea at one point.

I needed the procedure to find out why I was anemic. Just as well I got it since the found a mass that will have to be removed surgically.

One thing that kept me going the night before was the thought of the nice juicy hamburger I was going to have once the procedure was over. :)

Talk openly with your doc about your concerns about vomiting. Perhaps there are ways to diminish any nausea.

• bnicemendez
    Options

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I’m so sorry to hear that you’ll need surgery. I hope everything goes well for you. Good vibes being sent your way.

• bangle
    bangle Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hello actually due to my mom and sister having issues with the prep I asked for Sutab. These pills are much easier for me and I have used them twice now with no problems. Insurance can be an issue at times and I did pay $60 out of pocket. Well worth it in my opinion

• bnicemendez
    Options

Hi, I’ve heard about the new pills but they’re huge and I struggle to take pills normally so that wouldn’t even be an option for me unfortunately. Thank you for your feedback. Any suggestions help.