Loss of swallowing after radiation therapy

Options
ali90h7
ali90h7 Member Posts: 24 Member
edited April 5 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Welcome,
I hope you are fine,

Ask about the veterans who lost swallowing after IMRT, and how long did the problem last? What are the solutions before us?

My father, after 5 months of IMRT, completely lost his ability to swallow and fluids began to come out of his nose.
And now we are very disappointed

Loss of swallowing after radiation therapy

Comments

• goffrey
    goffrey Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Did your father have a swallow study done? Has he had any therapy to help with swallowing? I had issues right after therapy ended but by around 8-9 months out I was swallowing very well. Interestingly enough my radiation oncologist told me she would ensure she left me with a very good ability to swallow.

• ali90h7
    Options

I have an appointment in two weeks for an esophageal endoscopy and also an MRI of the neck, and I will also do a barium swallow test. I finished radiation treatment in August 2023, and difficulty swallowing began gradually until it stopped completely more than two weeks ago.

• ali90h7
    Options

I am asking here because I have fears that swallowing will not return, even if it is simple, or that it will not be possible to perform dilation, and this is what causes me deep frustration and sadness.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,277 Member
    Options

Ali this is one of the many pitfalls of treating cancer in the H&N area, it is an area with many functions that can be affected by treatment with swallowing being one of them.

They can most often get rid of the cancer but can not predict exactly how much effect and what will remain.

Don't give up hope yet but it is good you are getting MRI's and tests to determine exactly what is going on and you should have an answer then.

Please be strong and know there are many people who live with a feeding tube and adapt and live a rather normal life with it. There are several on the board here that are in that situation.

Praying that you get the best possible test results from your tests in two weeks.

Take Care God Bless

Russ