Advisable prostate cancer treatment for 87 year old?

Options
Orville12
Orville12 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited March 29 in Prostate Cancer #1

I am 87 years old with with high grade organ confined prostate adenocarcinoma . T2b Gleason 4+5

PSA 11.63 Biopsy results 12 cores 7 with Gleason 4+5 ranging from 50 to 100% of the respective core involved with malignancy, 1 core Gleason 4+4, 3 cores with Gleason 4+3, and 1 core with Gleason 3+4

CT and Bone scan both do not identify any metastatic disease.

Good functionally , still quite active and no limitations to activity

Have begun ADT therapy with Eligard . Now considering Brachytherapy?

Comments

• rjsomera
    rjsomera Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I am waiting for my radiation therapy schedule (SBRT). Stage 2. Gleason 3+4. Confined to the prostate. My decision for SBRT came after consulting 2 surgeons, 2 RP survivor patients, 2 urologists and aradiation oncologist .

• Orville12
    Options

Since I am 87 years old I am wondering what is the advisable treatment for me.

I am 87 years old with with high grade organ confined prostate adenocarcinoma . T2b Gleason 4+5

PSA 11.63 Biopsy results 12 cores 7 with Gleason 4+5 ranging from 50 to 100% of the respective core involved with malignancy, 1 core Gleason 4+4, 3 cores with Gleason 4+3, and 1 core with Gleason 3+4

CT and Bone scan both do not identify any metastatic disease.

Good functionally , still quite active and no limitations to activity

Have begun ADT therapy with Eligard in Dec. My PSA has gone down from 11.63 to 1.3 . Now considering Brachytherapy for me as well? My concerns are all the side effects I may encounter in the course of these treatments?

Are we on the right track or the necessary track?

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options

You have chosen to take an active approach towards treatment. In that context, I do think you are on the right track. Again, assuming you do want to be treated, brachytherapy seems like a good choice. There are two kinds; permanent seeds and high-dose rate (HD) brachytherapy. You could also consider SBRT (Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy), assuming there is a facility with extensive experience in your neighborhood.

With respect to side effects, ADT typically causes a number of them, but they vary a lot by individual. How long is an issue as well.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 243 Member
    Options

So…no MRI first?

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hi,

If I was 87 yrs old I think I would stay on the ADT drugs and monitor my PSA as long as the ADT drugs did not cause significant side effects. If it could be treated with some form of external beam radiation that would be my choice. General anesthesia(need for Brachytherapy)at 87 yrs?

Dave 3+4

• Orville12
    Options

Have had CT Scan and Bone Scan and both were negative.

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Get yourself an appointment with a Medical Oncologist who specializes in PCA, and hear what they have to say about your options and their anticipated path going forward. Then you can make your choices.