1st FOLFOX treatment & im miserable

Options
MBink24
MBink24 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited April 15 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I was hoping to be able to handle the treatments and be able work on and off but this first weekend has been unexpectedly bad. I starred throwing up the Saturday I was unhooked after 44 hours of 5-FU. I I’ve been taking Zofran and/or Ativan and just feel nauseated almost all the time, thrown up 3-4 times Sunday and today. Does this get any better? I am getting 11 more treatments every other week for stage3a colon cancer & not looking forward.

Appreciate any help

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

H

Welcome to the boards, though I am sorry you are here. I have had various forms of chemo, including FOLFOX and FOLFORI (both FOLFOX and FOLFORI use 5FU). Some things that worked for me for reducing the side effects were:

1.). The doctor dialed back the amount of the drug. There is often some leeway in there, with not much difference in the effect. In other words reducing a bit will still work to deal with the cancer. So have 10 oz instead of 12 oz comes out with the same result, but could help. (Note that I am just throwing numbers out, not actual doses.)

2.). Have the infusion rate slowed down. When I was on FOLFORI it took a few sessions to get it right. If they infused me too fast I experienced the side effects a lot more.

3.). Have the doctor add more premeds on board during your infusion - there are anti nausea meds and steroids (pretty sure I had steroids) which can help reduce the effects. (About the time of the disconnect is where some of those on board medicines start leaving your system.)

4.) Start taking the Zofran ahead of time if you see a pattern. If the nausea is starting after disconnect, but you are okay before then, start taking the Zofran before you start feeling sick. It is better to be ahead of the game, then to play catch-up.

You are starting to get used to all of this, and hopefully it gets better. For most of my chemo, and side effects, I would get them once early on, then not again. A couple of were a bit more. Fortunately I only vomited once from chemo - though I would be queasy during the first week of the two week cycle. Most of the time some crackers, tea/ginger ale took care of things. I do recall using Zofran more often towards my first FOLFOX treatment than towards the end.

• MBink24
    Options

Thank you so much for this information. I will definitely discuss with my oncologist who is aware of my side effects. She started me on Zyprexa & it’s been better than Zofran & Ativan but I still get queasy. I hope this past week was the worst one I’ll have.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

If you are throwing up allot, I would be talking to my Oncologist, and like New Here said, he may adjust the dosage on your second round.

Chemo isn't a walk in the park, and sadly, the side effects can accumulate with each round; but excessive vomiting and diarrhoea can cause dehydration and you don't want to go that route, as it will land you in the ER.

I hope that things get sorted for you, and the rest of your treatment is bearable.

Keep us posted.

Tru

• MBink24
    Options

I went in for my 2 nd treatment today & hop to do better. My Oncologist did make a few adjustments, skipped the pre-treatment Dexa. I hope I can handle this better.
    I definitely am active on my pt portal, messaging with the Dr & RN.
    Thanks for your replies!

• smithdoor
    smithdoor Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

FolFox is basically 5FU and Oxaliplatin.

The 5FU is not to bad.

I was told in 2009 I had stage 4 colan cancer

In 2009 I had 13 treatments of Oxaliplatin not to bad both feet and hands are still num. The up side is I am still alive today and retired in 2018

Dave

• MBink24
    Options

I also get Leuvocorin, so a total of 3 meds. I got my 3rd treatment & cont with nausea despite trying Zofran in the am, Ativan midday and Zyprexa at night. My Dr added Zyprexa in the morning and use the other 2 as needed. My best days are the 3-5 days before my next treatment. I haven’t found the right combo yet. Still trying. I’ve read about Compazine, but have not been prescribed it.

• smithdoor
    smithdoor Member Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 17 #8
    Options

The only thing i can say is watch your diet. I know at time had 5FU and Oxaliplatin My wife was on Nutersystem and I eat her food.

I Had few problems other that being tired and hands and feet num

Hope that helps.

Dave

• Susan13a
    Susan13a Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

I tolerated 5he nausea a bit better than you. In my case I had both Zofran and compazine. I was told to start taking them before I felt sick. I usually took it the day the pump came off. They recommended I alternate between the 2 medications taking them every 4 hours. This meant I often had both medications working together. I would ask your oncologist if adding compazine like this would be helpful. Good luck!