here again

Options
vinny59
vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
edited March 26 in Prostate Cancer #1

So I have been a member on this site since 2006 when I had my first cancer ( head and neck) and then again with my second cancer 2012 ( NHL ) . This site has so many insightful people and I'm looking for an answer on my most recent PSA results. I'm turning 65 in July. My PSA has been rising from a 1.03 just two years ago, to a reading of 7.3 on my last test. I have a % free PSA number of 5.8. I have a prostate MRI scheduled in two weeks. My DRE showed one side firmer than the other. The real question I have, ( sorry it took so long lol) is what does the PSA free number mean? It is .42 . Sorry for the long rambling , with my last two experience's I like to be as educated as I can be in case of an problem.

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hi,

Free PSA is the amount of unbound PSA(free) not attached to proteins in your blood. According to a Canadian source “A percent-free PSA above 25% is considered normal. Some doctors recommend that if you have a percent-free PSA of 18% or less you should have a prostate biopsy.” Is the .42 actually 42% or .42%? The MRI should tell you if there are any suspicious areas that the Urologist will investigate by performing a biopsy. Only the biopsy will confirm if you have cancer. Good luck……..

Dave 3+4

• vinny59
    Options

thanks for commenting, that's what is confusing me... one line is written as PSA 7.3.... second line is written as ............ % free PSA 5.8 and the last line is written as........... PSA free 0.42

• vinny59
    edited March 26 #4
    Options

So worst news I guess, Overall PI-RADs 5 , T2 is 5/5 and ADC is a 5/5. I have a lesion in my left hip again,( where my NHL was) waiting on a bone scan. Seeing Urologist Thursday to schedule Biopsy I presume lol , Have multiple lesions, largest is 29 mm and have possible invasion of the right neurovascular bundle. A lot to process, but anyone know the plan of attack? thanks

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hi,

Sounds like you are gathering the parts of the puzzle to decide what to do. Bone scan, MRI, Biopsy should give you the picture that you can discuss with your doctor team(Urologist/Oncologist) to move forward with some type of treatment. Sounds like the cancer has already left the Prostate capsule so I would think some form of radiation +ADT, but you & the doctor team will decide that. Might want to do a PMSA PET scan looking for hidden cancers throughout your body.

Dave 3+4

• vinny59
    Options

thanks Dave funny thing I had a PET scan in August did not show any activity in hip. Until MRI yesterday