Loss of muscle mass

Options
wdidg
wdidg Member Posts: 19 Member

after the cisplatin chemo, I lost considerable muscle mass. Anyone experienced this? If so, will it ever come back?

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello. wdidg, I am not exactly sure where you are in your treatment and recovery. I can't say I remember this subject being brought up or discussed but I believe it is a valid one. I think some of the muscle loss could be due to going through treatment and having a period of inactivity when you are in the thick of treatment and then recovering and aren't moving around as you normally would. I would think it would come back with exercising and activity.

Also, I did a search using the words "loss of muscle mass cisplatin" and it turns out there is quite a bit of information on it so it is in fact a real occurrence that can happen using cisplatin.

They have different names for it such as "cisplatin-induced muscle wasting", "Cisplatin-Induced Skeletal Muscle Dysfunction", Cisplatin-Induced Muscle Atrophy", "Skeletal Muscle Mass Loss" so there is a lot of coverage on it, far more than I can post here but I can post the search to use. I have learned a few things also checking this out.

There is also an official name for it and it is referred to as ‘cachexia’.

Here is an article on it...

Preservation of muscle mass as a strategy to reduce the toxic effects of cancer chemotherapy on body composition

Also here is an informational Pdf. on it...

Cisplatin-Induced Skeletal Muscle Dysfunction...

https://mdpi-res.com/d_attachment/ijms/ijms-21-01242/article_deploy/ijms-21-01242.pdf?version=1581594270

Here is the search I used and there re many results to look at...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=loss+of+muscle+mass+cisplatin&t=ffab&ia=web

Also here is a video of side effects discussed...

Common Side Effects of Cisplatin Chemotherapy

Late and long-lasting effects of cancer treatment

I hope this helps a bit.

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• wdidg
    wdidg Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

This is very useful info. Thanks Russ 🙏

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

You are very welcome, glad it helped you.

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• goffrey
    goffrey Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I stayed very active during my cancer treatment which helped quite a bit. I had induction chemo 3 rounds and then 6 weeks of radiation and chemo. The entire time I made sure I was up moving around. I actually did all the housework and laundry. I think it helped with not having as much muscle loss. The only time I was not active was right after chemo radiation ended I wound up in the hospital with pneumonia. But even when you don't feel good moving is key. Taking walks or anything to get you up and moving around.