Recommendations for Dentists with Head & Neck Cancer experience

Options
Bookaddict100
Bookaddict100 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited March 8 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi,

I’m looking for a good Dentist with Head & Neck Cancer experience in the Houston, TX area.

I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the oral tongue in 2012. I received a left partial glossectomy and bilateral neck dissections with left forearm free flap reconstruction and Radiation therapy. I was doing well until, a few years ago when I started having dental issues. Unfortunately, it’s been a frustrating battle trying to find the best Dentist to help with my current issues.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello, Bookaddict100, and welcome to the CSN H&N discussion forum.

One thing you can do is search the term "Head & Neck Cancer dentist in the Houston, TX area", and search through the results. Try phrasing the results in different ways. Also searched with the phrase "Head & Neck Cancer dental care in the Houston, TX area".

Also, search this phrase "dental cancer care houston texas" there are more listings.

Here is one I looked at and if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the article it says "Dentist Referrals, maybe they can guide you. https://www.houstonmethodist.org/cancer/locations/texas-medical-center/specialty-head-and-neck-cancer-clinic/

Other support services to improve patient's quality of life include:

• Dentist referrals
    • Nutrition counseling
    • Speech therapy
    • Rehabilitation for voice and swallowing
    • Psycho-social counseling
    • Support from a survivor who can mentor patients through the treatment process
    • Quit-smoking classes

Here is another, scroll down to the bottom of the page there are at least a dozen DDS, Doctor of Dental Surgery, and DMD which can mean either Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry or Doctor of Dental Medicine listed there with their photograph.

Here is another...

Dental Cancer Care

Chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgical procedures focusing on the head and neck can cause problems for your oral health. Our prosthodontist can play an important role in preventing complications from cancer treatment affecting your oral health.

713-664-9900

4747 Bellaire Blvd Suite #525

Houston, TX 77401

Here is another...

Individualized dental treatment for Houston cancer patients

Pure Prosthodontics

927 Studewood St #300,

Houston, TX 77008

Here is another...

Midtown Dentistry © - Houston Texas

It says they have 5 locations in the Houston area...

Here is another...

Head & Neck Cancer Center of Texas

✆ Phone (appointments): 817-920-0484

Address: 923 Pennsylvania Ave, Suite 100, Fort Worth, TX 76104

DENTAL CARE PRIOR, DURING, AND AFTER HEAD AND NECK RADIATION THERAPY

I hope this gives you some help and...

I would also recommend you check out the Superthread at the top of the page there is loads of information in there with links and you will find it helpful.

https://csn.cancer.org/discussion/261072/superthread-read-only-contributed-by-sweetblood22#latest

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• Bookaddict100
    Bookaddict100 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply and the links.

I was hoping someone might have some personal knowledge of a good Dentist who has a better understanding of head & neck radiation patients. I was seeing someone when my dental issues began but they didn’t address my concerns which led me back to the Cancer Hospital. Unfortunately, the Hospital no longer handles regular dental care. They have given me referrals and I have gone to several consults only to get sent back to the Cancer hospital to treat me. It’s been frustrating and has felt like a run-a-round.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

You have been to different places and can't get your problems resolved. I am surprised the cancer hospital did not at least have a good referral for you. I am not in your area so I did the best I can to find a possible lead for you.

Why don't you share your cancer story here and give a brief overview of where you are at now and the specifics of your dental needs maybe someone on this forum would have some suggestions for you.

Our Motto On Here is NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, God Bless

Russ