How many of you with rectal cancer did chemo and radiation together?

Options
Spruce34
Spruce34 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited April 11 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I have stage 3 rectal cancer with a 3 CM tumor and its in the nearby nodes. My treatment plan is to do chemo 5-FU and radiation together. I will get the port in a week and start the following Monday. My wife has scoured the internet and seems to think my treatment plan is unusual and that most get one or the other. She is against radiation, but I'm following the doctor's advice. I was wondering how many of you did both together? I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's come out the other side of that double treatment and any advice they have. Thanks for anyone who takes the time to weigh in.

Comments

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Spruce 34:

I had stage 2 rectal cancer. I did the chemo (5Fu Xeloda pills) in conjunction with the radiation treatment. Lasted about 6 weeks as I remember. After recovering and catching my breath I had the resection surgery followed by more chemo therapy (through the port).

I am 6 years cancer free but all of those events and treatments really subtracted some vitality from me. Remaining positive and hopeful helped me cope with all of the nuisances of cancer and its treatment.

Good luck my friend.

Jim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

I did FOLFOX first, and then I did 5FU Chemo 24/7 along with six weeks of radiation.

That was 11 years ago - Stage IV and doing well, really well.

I wont lie, radiation was the worst; but I am alive, and thus, I consider it worth it.

It is a long, rough road, and I wish you the best.

Tru

• smithdoor
    smithdoor Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

On Monday I will have 108 chemo treatments.

I was total I stage 4 colan cancer in 2009

Dave

• Susan13a
    Susan13a Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

I did 30 radiation therapy treatments with 5FU followed by 8 FOLFOX infusions. More chemo after surgery is expected. As I understand it, both are normal procedure.

My rectal cancer was stage 2c, it had not spread to lymph nodes but it was a huge 12 cm tumor.

I will also mention that the radiation therapy was much easier for me than the full infusion chemo. I see others had problems with radiation so YMMV

• Spruce34
    Spruce34 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I’m a few steps ahead of you: stage 3 cm tumor with involvement in two nodes

I’m almost 4 weeks into combination chemo radiation treatments. My bad luck is my tumor is very close to my anus. Hopefully, you have better luck.

talk to your doctor about oral Capecitibene in lieu of a port and 5fu. the national Institute of health study shows better outcomes with the oral Cape side of being the port treatment of 5FU. Plus taking a pill twice a day versus having to carry a delivery device around way better quality of life in my opinion.