Scared after focal asymmetry found in mammogram and family history

Options
bluebunny88
bluebunny88 Member Posts: 8 Member

So I had my first mammogram last year and it was normal. This year, I had another one and they found a 1.4cm focal asymmetry in the upper central breast, about 7cm from the nipple but no other suspicious findings at all. There's scattered fibrograndular density. I've read the chance of having cancer with that kind of density is low but I don't know how true that is.

I'm 42.

My paternal grandmother had breast cancer, resolved by mastectomy only on one side. No reoccurrence and this was at least 20 years ago and she was in her 70s. So she survived cancer. My mother had both ovaries removed to prevent ovarian cancer or the spread of it before she was 40. My grandmother had cervical cancer and died from it at 73. My dad had PNET (pancreative neuroendocrine tumors) and died from it at 74. So that's my cancer-related family history!

My BMI is 26.3.

The technician seemed to struggle on the left side during the mammogram when positioning me and that's where the focal asymmetry is so it's possible that caused it, I guess.

I know that the radiologist didn't find anything else wrong and that's a positive sign and that a second-degree relative having cancer also helps better than a first-degree relative even though my mother had ovaries removed to prevent cancer.

Not sure if gynecology related issues put me at risk other than hormonal imbalance. I have fibroids and had 2 noncancerous polyps removed from my uterus about a couple years ago.

I'm aware this focal asymmetry could mean anything but with this size and my family history, I'm scared. I just need a reason to think it's probably not cancer! I have an appointment this Monday for a diagnostic mammogram and breast ultrasound. I've been trying to come up with pros and cons based on what I've seen online (I know, I know, internet search isn't advisable for medical advice but I'm scared). I'm coming across conflicting information so that's not helping. Like, I saw that having scattered fibrograndular density could mean you have low chance of cancer but then I saw that having it means it's quite likely to have cancer and I would think so based on family history. So I don't know. I go back and forth since the mammogram wondering about my odds.

They gave the mammogram a BI-RADS category of 0, meaning they couldn't complete the reading. I hope that doesn't mean trouble.

I just get scared that even if it's not cancerous, they might find focal asymmetry again in the future and it'll be scary again and maybe then, it'll be cancer. It's really hard to wait til Monday when I get the second mammogram and the ultrasound.