Question on post D&C operative report

Options
C_Texas
C_Texas Member Posts: 3 *
edited February 23 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Hello all,

39, premenopausal. After more than a year with increasingly heavy (but regular) menstrual bleeding and anemia, in late 2023 I found an OBGYN clinic that could see me several months earlier than my regular OBGYN.  On my first visit, I had a pelvic exam and PAP smear, which found a slightly enlarged uterus and good pap results. I was then scheduled for a TVUS which noted a 22 mm endometrium and a solid area noted as having a feeder vessel consist with a polyp measuring about 3 cm. I was referred to the OBGYN (all other visits were with a nurse practitioner) who scheduled a hysteroscopy with polpectomy and d&c, which I completed on 2/21/2024 under general anesthesia. 

My confusion is to the post operative report that stated no polyp was found but that there was polypoid endometrial tissue thickening the lining. A sample was sent to pathology and I am awaiting a post op appointment in March. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Thank you in advance and for all of the care and support that’s offered here. 

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I looked up what polypoid means and this is the definition. polypoid adjective

Like a polyp; having the nature of a polyp, but lacking the tentacles or other parts. Resembling a polypus in appearance; having a character like that of a polypus. Resembling a polyp.

Seems like a slight difference. Pathologists are very highly trained though, and to them there is a difference.

• C_Texas
    Options

Thank you for looking up the definition Forherself! I haven’t received the pathology yet, and I know I will have more answers at my follow up with the OBGYN. I will see him with the results one day after my upcoming 40th birthday.

Wishing you the best!

R/

Cass

• Forherself
    Options

You are welcome. We are here for you. Chances are good there will be no cancer. They might recommend a hysterectomy though. Then you won't have to worry about endometrial cancer again. Good luck

• C_Texas
    Options

That’s my hope too. My mother was diagnosed with EC at the age of 42 after a routine hysterectomy to remove a large ovarian cyst and to solve her heavy bleeding issues. My OBGYN said that hysterectomy would come next if the D&C doesn’t solve my HMB. I will follow up here once I get the results, since reading other women’s stories and concerns have helped me through this.

• Forherself
    Options

Do make sure the doctor knows your mother had endometrial cancer. You can ask for a second opinion if this OBGYN doesn't recommend a hysterectomy. We have all found we have to advocate for ourselves.