How would I know what is the best option for me? Total- or hemi-thyroidectomy or RFA?

Options
zeyd
zeyd Member Posts: 2 Member
edited February 22 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi,

Just diagnosed with PTC.

A 1.4cm malignant nodule on the left lobe, and one 1.5cm indeterminate on the right lobe.

There is a suspicious lymph node on the left side as well but came back non-cancerous after 2 separate FNAs.

I do not want to let the fear of cancer lead me to a decision or procedure that is more aggressive than necessary.

I appreciate any references, guidelines, experience, advice, etc.

Thank yoU!

Comments

• goffrey
    goffrey Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options

My best advice would be to get a few differing medical opinions from well regarded cancer centers. I would not take advice from lay people or from unchecked sources on the internet. Get a 2nd and 3rd opinion from people who are trained in the field.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    edited February 22 #3
    Options

Welcome, zeyd, to the CSN H&N discussion board.

I first had to look up what a PTC is because these days it seems there are so many acronyms it is hard to keep track of them all.

So you have been diagnosed with Papillary thyroid cancer. And the suspicious lymph nodes have come back clear after a Fine needle aspiration is a type of biopsy procedure.

I looked your cancer up and it is the most common type of thyroid cancer.

It seems you have already been diagnosed and are at the point of opting for some kind of treatment. So I would say to move forward and get treatment from the doctors who are diagnosing and doing the biopsies if you trust them and have complete confidence in them. Otherwise, get a second opinion just to be sure in your mind that you are taking the right path. If you get a second opinion it would be good to get it at a major cancer center or hospital if you are near one.

Your cancer is listed as common, slow-growing and easily treated usually with surgery.

I assume you have had possibly x-rays or CT Scans and Possibly CT Scans with contrast to verify and see your cancer. And beyond that have they biopsied your thyroid to verify that it is officially cancer and the type it is? The next step before you get any treatment should be a PET Scan which is a whole body scan ( Eyes To Thighs) as it is sometimes called) where they inject a small amount of radioactive dye into you and you wait an hour and get scanned then. This will show if there is cancer anywhere else in the body and or if the cancer you have has metastasized so they know what they are working with. Hopefully, it has not metastasized and they are only dealing with one localized situation. Below is a great article from Cleveland Clinic that thoroughly covers your situation...it tells you all you need to know...

Our Motto Here...

NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

Also, I recommend you check out the "Superthread" at the top of the Head and Neck page, it is loaded with info and links that you may find helpful.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless

Russ

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options

Howdy zeyd,

Welcome to the H&N forum. Most of us started out just like you, dazed and confused and what appears to b the biggest decision your life has been dropped in your lap. I am in agreement with the good advice provided by geoffrey and wbcgaruss. One thing you need to understand is the doctors and nurses (your team) are not going to let you make the wrong decision. They leave it up to you, but they will help to guide you to the best decision for your treatment and you are going to get smart fast and before you know it many of the answers to your questions will begin to fall in place.

Good luck,

CivilMatt