Private dr or big institutions

Options
Steve1961
Steve1961 Member Posts: 519 Member
edited February 18 in Prostate Cancer #1

like to talk about choosing doctors I always hear find yourself a doctor that’s done 2500 or 3000 prostate surgery I mean let’s face it most of us should have urologist they don’t do the surgeries or maybe they do and if you’re lucky enough to maybe been with your urologist for 10 1520 years and you trust him that’s great but I think most of the time that’s not the case ..they go to Sloan go to Duke go to a big university… I get it but if you go to a private doctor that’s done 2500. Or more I think you’ll be guaranteed that he’ll be doing the surgery, they don’t teach there at the private hospitals .all these institutes and I mean all of them are teaching hospitals and like myself I’m having salvage surgery done and it’s very delicate surgery specially when it comes to separating the prostrate from the rectum so I asked him point-blank will doctor reiter be doing the surgery , since it takes the hands of an expert, I don’t feel comfortable having a fellow or a resident do the surgery, especially when it comes to the critical parts like separating the prostate from the rectum response was Dr. Reiter will be doing the critical parts which means probably most of the surgery may be done by a resident or a fellow When you’re learning you make mistakes this makes me feel very uncomfortable but I guess now what can I do …something to think about when you’re starting the journey in your thinking about surgery I wonder how many men actually had their doctor do the whole surgery from beginning to end