Husband's Treatments Start Monday Morning

Options
RAKGA
RAKGA Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi everyone, I wanted to pop in with an update from my previous "Extremely Scared - Husband Diagnosed with Throat Cancer" posting.

The biopsy confirmed the tumor is p16 positive and the PET scan showed that it is localized with only a few lymph nodes right next to the tumor affected. His diagnosis is Stage 1, T1, N2b, M0. He begins 35 rounds of IMRT radiation and 7 doses of 40mg Cisplatin chemo (1x per week) on Monday morning.

He elected to have a PEG tube inserted and that procedure was done on Wednesday. I do not think either of us were prepared for the pain involved. They did the procedure and kept him overnight to run a low vaccum on the tube to ensure everything was good. The next morning, they put in the port. They did not have him up and walking until over 24 hours after the PEG insertion which in retrospect probably did not help. He has a belly so when he stands, he feels as if his muscles are pulling the new PEG. It has VERY slowly improved since we got home Thursday afternoon but it has definitely put him in a depression going into treatment in pain. He's very worried about vomiting with the PEG and pain right now especially.

I am hoping that once everything gets underway, he can find his positivity again as he can begin counting down the treatments.

His radiation oncologist is absolutely wonderful and very warm. His general oncologist is great but much more "to the point" and trying to prepare him for all scenarios which is hard.

I will keep you posted but appreciate any tips or suggestions as we get underway. Thank you all!

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options

Hello, RAKGA, Glad to hear from you, and thanks for the update on your husband.

Sorry that he was confirmed with cancer but the good news is it is p16 positive. That reacts much better to treatment and is easier to eradicate. Thankfully also it is only stage 1 with only a few lymph nodes affected. It sounds like he is getting the standard 35 rounds of radiation in conjunction with doses of chemotherapy.

I am glad he elected to get the PEG tube ahead of time. I am sorry to hear he had pain with it. This was all new to me also and in my case the care team that was running my treatment knew what effects my treatment would have on me and would not start treatment till I had a PEG put in. My PEG was on an outpatient basis but I too had some pain and discomfort after the procedure and before I left the hospital they took me back and put me in some sort of a machine that could scan me and checked to make sure that the PEG was in fact installed properly. The findings were that yes it was in properly and all was OK. My pain in the meantime had diminished quite a bit so I decided it would be OK to go home. My wife was driving me home and about halfway home I started to get pain again and she pulled over and asked if I wanted to go back to the hospital. After sitting there a bit I decided it was a tolerable pain and discomfort and no go ahead and go home. Once home I could relax and I am not sure exactly how long it was till there was no pain at all and no discomfort but I would say a day or two. But I think once you get home you can find ways to be comfortable till your body adapts to the new thing it has to deal with. I think part of this period is your body trying to get used to something that is unnatural to it. Once I had it for a short period of time it didn't bother me at all anymore. Now all I had to do was get used to this tube in my belly but the fact that it is temporary is a help with that, just a helpful addition to get you through this treatment and period in your life. As far as holding the tube in place and easy and cheap solution was presented to me by my nurse navigator. Just cut the top elastic off a pair of old underwear and it works as a band to keep the tube secured instead of dangling all over the place.

I have never heard of running a low vacuum on the feeding tube but apparently, it will verify that everything is OK with the installation. You say his belly muscles are pulling on the PEG and I think I had a similar effect, we all do it is just a matter of time and getting used to it and after a while, he won't even think about it. You may not even need to use it but if you do need it I call it a friend and a lifesaver. Please tell him not to be depressed because this was just a small issue in the grand scheme of this treatment and till you are done with his treatments and recovery there will be many emotional ups and downs so you just gotta go with the flow, roll with the punches so to speak and keep the goal, the prize in mind, getting through treatment and then recovery. You will not regret getting the feeding tube or the Port, I had one and I tell ya they are a great vein saver.

Please keep us updated and if we can offer any help we are more than happy to do so to make the road you are traveling a little easier for you, for your husband.

Prayers your way, May God Bless and sustain you through this.

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

Remember our Motto NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

• martinat1400
    martinat1400 Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 19 #3
    Options

hello rakga

in july i was diagnosed with stage 3 throat cancer i had 35 radiation treatments and 6 chemo treatments i am happy to report as of my recent pet scan this month all cancer has been removed my tumor responded very well to treatments very blessed i as well had a feeding tube installed early in treatment stages very happy for that on the advise of my doctor i went through a lot of issues with my mouth and throat during and after rad treatment only now i am beginning to chew and swallow solid foods i had my feeding tube removed this don't know if my saliva glands will ever get back to 100% i will admit it was a very trying time still dealing with after affects of treatments i wish your husband all the best during and after treatments if u have any questions feel free to reach out to me

mickey [content removed by CSN Support Team]