Stage 3 Point B (nsc)

Options
DadSon859
DadSon859 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited February 15 in Lung Cancer #1

Greetings, brave fighters! Recently, I received distressing news that my father, who is 63 years old, has been diagnosed with stage 3 point B non-small cell cancer. After a quick search on the internet, I found myself overwhelmed and filled with helplessness as the prognosis does not appear to be very promising. It is incredibly difficult to comprehend and accept when a doctor or an article puts a specific timeline on the life of someone you love. This feeling is entirely new to me and has hit me hard today. However, I am determined to maintain an optimistic outlook. I have come across information suggesting that many of the statistics available are based on outdated studies that did not consider all the advancements and options available today. Is there any truth to this, or should I truly consider the possibility that my father may have only five years at best, or even as little as a few months to a year? I am at a loss for what to think or feel. The thought of losing my dad is something I simply cannot fathom. So…I am reaching out to this incredible community of warriors and loved ones, seeking any information or insights you may have on this matter. Your support, prayers, and wisdom would be immensely appreciated. Our next step is the pet scan, and I am hopeful that it will provide us with more clarity. May God bless each and every one of you!

Comments

• eDivebuddy
    eDivebuddy Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I'm sorry your family is going through this. Lung cancer is never a good thing. Treatments have come a very long way. They're more effective and less toxic than years past. It's definitely not a death sentence. Prognosis' are good for planning or choosing treatments,but they are a very poor predictor of an individual outcome. At one point I was given hours maybe days and at best 6 months. That was 42 months ago. Stage IV Mets to my liver, Neck, brain and skin yet here I am. A little worse for wear but living a perfectly normal life.

Until your dad has been fully staged and tested for treatable driver mutations a prognosis' is not really possible. Prognosis is predicting the future of treatment based on similar treatments. You will need to know what treatments he's eligible for before even making a real stab at it.

There are many 20 year stage 4 lung cancer survivors. While not common it shows how far off a prognosis can be.

When do they expect the genetic testing to come back?