wait time for targeted biopsy after initial MRI

Options
Arthurdent
Arthurdent Member Posts: 14 Member
edited February 13 in Prostate Cancer #1

Just got my MRI. PSA rising slowly for 3 years from 4.0 to 5.1. The MRI indicates a pi-Rad level 4 lesion 10 ml, well defined with no infiltration. Either base peripheral zone 11 to 12 o clock or transitional mid gland zone 11 to 12 o clock. Will get the location cleared up.

I have an MRI fusion targeted biopsy scheduled in late May.

Is the waiting period for this lesion appropriate?

Being seen at University of Wisconsin Hospitals and clinics by a urologist.

Comments

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Sounds very similar to me, same PSA and PIRADS. I think I had 2.5 months from MRI to biopsy.

How big is your prostate?

• Arthurdent
    Options

My prostate is 35 ml. Not large but not small. I chuckle at the question. (Show me yours and I will show you mine!)

I just got an email from UW Urology. They are actively looking for an earlier date. I love it when the system can be tweaked. I always have been like James Dean's first movie. A rebel without a cause!

How has your journey been?

My son worked at the Cargill chocolate location in Lititz Pa.

My favorite numbers are now 3+3=6. Or lower!

Did you get a MRI-targeted biopsy with a few random probes for good measure? How was your recovery?

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I am the proud owner of a 140cc prostate, which has had almost 100cc removed via a procedure for BPH.

Yep, 12 samples on a grid plus 3 targeted samples of the PIRADS 4 lesion. The targeted ones were positive, 3+3=6. I had a second pathology opinion, they came back 3+4=7 with just a wee bit of 7. Now on AS.

Best of luck!

• Arthurdent
    Options

Thanks for the advice.

I now have a March 29th TRANSPERINEAL fusion biopsy. 2 months earlier. The late May biopsy was going to be transrectal. Was not interested in seeing the antibiotics given before the enteric bacteria inoculations were going to be effective. And the urologist is quite proficient in focal HiFU. Great if we go that way!

It pays to be patient, do your research, and be a bit lucky! I stayed within my network too!

The Doctor has quite an extensive research history. He asked me to forward the other institution's multiparametric 3T with and without contrast results. He wanted to read the images HIMSELF. A free 2nd opinion.

The targeted and patterned biopsy will be done to optimize the decision of focal or entire treatment options.

I was all smiles during the initial consult!