Losing Your Smile

Options

Did anyone's teeth start to break so easily after receiving intensive radiation? I have completely lost most of my teeth and I get excruciating pain in my teeth for days and since I was homeless I didn't have the means to go to a dentist and check them out and I'm so afraid my smile is horrible I hate speaking to people I feel embarrassed to the core about them and honestly I would like to know I'm not the only one who experienced this.

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,467 Member
    Options

So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, it can be one of the undesired side effects of radiation. Have you thought about contacting city, county or state health authorities for assistance? As well, if you check with your state dental association, there are dentists who will help you restore that smile at low or no cost. In the cancer journey, the best results come from being your own best advocate. You may have to ask several times, but the self-confidence which comes from a bright smile is worth it! You have overcome so much. There is great satisfaction in that alone.